Pure wool Socks

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little I'm having a real hard time trying to find a supplier of pure wool sock in the UK has anyone been able to track down a source ???

cheers Russ :D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I thought that even "pure wool" socks needed a touch of nylon round the heel area for wear resistance. No?

I prefer natural over synthetic every time but I walk heavily on my heels and destroy socks quite quickly. Still wear socks with the heel area down to the nylon "frame", the rest of the sock is fine.
With all wool, a darn at the heel might rub a fair bit. Any ideas on comfortable heel darning?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Darning is quite easy, and nylon actually helps the wool to wear away rather than strengthening it.
Proper woool ought to felt at the wear points and that makes it more resistant to abrasion.

It's actually a better repair to unpick the damaged heel and reknit the worn out piece than darn. There's a type of stitch that doubles the thickness at heels and at the ball of the foot if needed that actually encourages the wool to felt.
I can show in person but no idea of where to find on line instructions. I'll have a look though.

Hey, whole new carving ideas........we need darning mushrooms and eggs :D

atb,
M

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Cheers Mary.:)

Interesting fact about the felting; I think that I may have worn my wool socks for rather longer than I thought and worn my way through the felt.:rolleyes:

Never did get the hang of turning the heel myself, so I might have to fall back on darning.

I don't think I've still got my mushroom; must look out for a suitable bit of wood.:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the nylon knit is still sound then just follow it using a woollen thread and it will effectively reknit your heel. If you can get hold of a fine latch hook........like the needle from a knitting machine, that can be used the literally reknit quickly using the base knit of the nylon and just redoing it.
What could also be done is to loosely weave in a darning using a very lightly spun fine merino roving through the nylon and then felt that. Ought to work very well indeed :approve:
If you want to try it, let me know and I'll send you some of the merino roving.......might even have some suitable colours among the stuff I have for feltmaking.

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The old folks used to weave linen or hemp in at the toes, much better than nylon. Would you like some to try repairs ? Ply it with wool and use it to darn.

atb,
M.........sorry, I'm kind of in sock mode just now, I'm knitting :rolleyes: and I've got a huge stash of fibres to use up. Knitting I hasten to add is a rare diversion, getting me to sit still long enough is a nightmare :eek:
M

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I use the "commando"socks, which are mainly wool, for work and walking. But i recently got 3 prs of merrino wool socks for a tenner from go outdoors.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I know its abit late and they aren't totally wool but i found these socks in cabelas when i was over fishing and they are the best socks in the world, they are so thick, two pairs of normal thick socks to these bad boys, well worth a look, I use two pairs of brasher socks under my wellies but one pair of these do the same job (read the reviews)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat600967&hasJS=true

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE