Pulled pork for the impatient

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not strictly bushy. But just saved myself 5 hours turning 2kg of pork shoulder into perfect pulled pork thanks to my pressure cooker.

1hr was all it took. Why have I never thought of it before?
9ajesa5a.jpg

Yum!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good tip; my mum used to do large joints of pork in the pressure cooker and it was always great. I've always meant to get myself a decent one and start to cook with it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pressure cookers are under used and under valued in a 'modern' kitchen, for me they are must have bit of kitchen kit.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
...concurrently surely?

;)

Looks delicious btw :)

simultaneous

ˌsɪm(ə)lˈteɪnɪəs/

adjective

occurring, operating, or done at the same time.
"a simultaneous withdrawal of troops"
synonyms:concurrent, happening at the same time, done at the same time, contemporaneous, concomitant, coinciding, coincident, synchronous, synchronized, synchronic; More
antonyms:asynchronous

Your point?

lliteration? :D

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If one is an hour event and one 45 minutes they may be concurrent (overlapping) but not entirely simultaneous (given for 15 minutes they didn't overlap)...or not....back to the cooking :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No. Pulled pork takes a total of 6hrs to cook conventionally. Pay attention at the back there. Crackling was cooked simultaneously.

I suppose it depends on what you consider "conventional." Smoking a pork butt takes about 12 hours or more.

I gotta admit, I like the idea of the pressure cooker though.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hi Si

It's super simple - I trimmed the rind off then roughly cut 2kg (serves 8-10) of pork shoulder into large chunks (I quartered each 1kg joint) - I then brown these in a frying pan. Once browned I transfer them to my pressure cooker and cook in a cup and a half's worth of cider for 45 minutes. (You can cook in BBQ sauce if you wish, thinned down a little with beer or cider).

Once done, fish the pork out of the remaining juice then leave to cool for 5 minutes to retain the juices.

Pull the pork apart with 2 forks.

You can then use the stock you made in the pressure cooker to form the basis of a BBQ sauce if you want but you'll need to seperate the fat off. Alternatively use a bottle of your favorite shop bought.

Serve hot in a bread bun with coleslaw and beans on the side.

If you wish you can marinade the pork or apply a rub before cooking but I don't think it's necessary.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with Rik in that pressure cookers are underused, at the other end of the timescale slowcookers are totally under-rated too. Both save money in fuel use and with the slow cooker it's lovely coming home at the end of a day out working in the sleat and snow to open the door and smell the wonderful things the "fairies" have cooked for you while you were out. (Especially when you live alone).

That pork does look very good, making me hungry here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE