public transport from Glasgow (aka I'm fed up asking for lifts)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
So far I've been able to get out a good few times already this year (quite happy as I only decided to get into this in January) but I've been dependant on either borrowing the in laws car or talking people into giving me a lift to Loch Ard.

I really fancy the idea of just getting away on my own, but Public Transport to the spot I know is either a two hour wait in Balfron for a bus change or one direct bus which only runs on sundays.

Anyone got any suggestions of places that's accessible from Glasgow via public transport??

Ta much

Hig

PS I know loch lomond is just down the road, but it's huge and I don't know the area that well, so a more detailed suggestion with train/bus stop recommendations will really be appreciated

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
there's a city link bus which goes all the way to Skye. Via Loch Lomond, Glen Coe, Fort William, etc etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My husband's free bus pass came through the door the same post that delivered my driving licence :D I told him he planned it 'cos he hates driving.

Anyway, he says that from Buchanan Street Bus Station you can get a bus to the Campsie Glen about every 20 minutes, and it's a nice set of walks and lots of quiet wee glens for camping.

He also suggested the Fort William bus that goes past Loch Lomond and up through Glencoe and past Tyndrum.

The Oban bus goes Loch Lomand to Arrochar, Inverary, Loch Awe, it passes the Rest and be Thankful and there's lots of places round there to camp.

He said that it's much much better to book in advance and actually buy your ticket beforehand; that the bus drivers will pick you up and set you down where ever it is safe to do so, but if you don't have your ticket you can't guarantee a seat on the bus for the Grannies out for the day.

I think the Campbeltown bus also does the Invarary and Carradale stops.

The train from Central goes down to Ardrossan and meets the ferry across to Arran too.

cheers,
Toddy

Mar 2, 2010
Dumfries & Galloway
Hiya, the Gourock train goes from Central straight to the ferry terminal, hop on the ferry over to Dunoon, and from there the world can be the mollusc of your choice :) There's some great spots round Loch Fyne, good fishing too.

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
Toddy,

not heard about Glen Campsie before. I do like the idea of Loch Lomond as well. Google maps will be in use shortly :-D

Marttiini Girl,

I grew up in Gourock and never even thought about Dunoon. Might even take the bike :-D

Last Exam is on Monday and SHMBO has given me a free pass to try out my new hammock on Wednesday. Got a lot to chose from now :-D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I think the Campbeltown bus also does the Invarary and Carradale stops.

It does, I used to take that bus up to Tayinloan, there's a caravan/camp-site just a mile before the village that all the family have been going to for many years.

If you jump off the bus at Tarbert you've got the Kintyre Way all the way down to Campbeltown and then a bus from there back to Glasgow.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
If you book online with national express/citylink you may get a really cheap deal for tickets.
Dont forget to look at the hills near to the west highland line railway. The train serve is actually great if you fancy a good walkabout.
Clachan of Campsie is the terminus for the local bus choose a X85 X86 and 88
great wee coffee shop with a nice bimble to the crow road car par,k with a well used route that leads you up into the campsies.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah - Clachan a Campsie gets you into the Campsie Fells or you could get the 88 to Harestanes and walk over to the Kilsyth Hills. Train to Croy and bus/walk to foot of Kilsyth Hills too?

Don't know if there's anything out to Carron Valley? Could be a goer.

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
Well I'm back and I lived. Ended up following a mates advice and getting the train to Balloch then heading up to Balmaha.

Walked North out of the village following the loch, then cam across a fork in the road. One way headed away from the loch and the other followed it bu was marked as a private road. Not wanting to peeve off a land owner I followed the road figuring I could cut back towards the water sooner or later.

Sure enough a little while later I see a cut through a bluebell filled forest and followed it down to a little beach. I walked along the beach for 15 min or so and found a nice spot to set up the hammock. All is well with the world...
within the next 30 min I'd been passed by 4 groups of people??
walk up to where they were and find a gravel path...
go back to the camp and dig out the map. have a look and discover I've camped next to the west highland way :rolleyes:

Still after about 8 pm I had a lovely spot all to myself and woke looking out over the loch after my 1st night in a hammock. All in a good wee trip.

Thanks again to all who gave advice :-D

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
oh nd here's a piccy

mail

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
tried posting some piccys but can't find an upload option and linking to them on facebook don't seem to work:-(

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE