Looking for ideas for an 'awfully big adventure', just not too far from Glasgow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
OK, so its asking for a lot but let me explain...

As a family we've been camping for years but it's all been 'load up the car and head off' camping.

I used to do a lot of wild camping/walking back in the day and my sons (10 & 13) are keen to give this a go with their old Dad. I've recently camped out overnight with them in our hammocks (albeit at the foot of the garden in a holiday lodge) and they're dead keen to get out into the green stuff, carry their own gear and camp wild.

Now I know from the outset that I'll be carrying all the 'communal gear' and most of theirs too. I also know that a couple of days will be enough for them the first time round. The plan is to travel somewhere by either bus or train and then walk a route and hammock for a couple of nights (but not too far considering their ages and the fact that they will be carrying some of the gear).

I want the boys to be leading the planning, working out what we need (in terms of gear, food, water, etc) as well as working out our route (public transport to get there and back, walking route and where to hang our hammocks I also want them to do the navigation once we're there. I'll obviously be double checking everything and giving them helpful hints throughout the process.

I'm looking for a bit of a starter for ten though from anyone who can suggest a few possibilities.

I'm looking for somewhere not too far away from Glasgow, ideally within the Strathclyde area that's easily accessible by public transport (train or bus). I'm also looking for areas that either have access to safe wild camping spots (far enough away from civilisation that we won't be bothered by marauding neds/joyriders) or hammock friendly campsites nearby, close enough that we can get back to civilisation in case we hit problems (really foul weather, etc) with a little bit of walking thrown in (5 to 10 miles a day for a couple of days maximum).

I had initially looked at the Loch Lomond area but the east side has poor public transport links from what I can see plus the camping exclusion zone which would make hammocking tricky. I've been looking at the West side as there are train stations but also don't want to spend ages walking along busy roads, especially if there isn't much of a path.

Anyone out there got any suggestions? Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

NS40 & sons

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I barely know your part of the world at all, but if no-one else buzzed in I'd guess...

... Galloway Forest Park? I had a few days there last month. Plenty of woods, hills, lochs and wildness. Easy to walk and hammock. It's pretty much all plantation, but plenty of big, old, open stands. Be an easy place to get lost for a few days.

Don't know about transport though.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Thanks Hobbes.

Galloway Forest Park is certainly on the to-do-list for a camping/hammocking trip at some point would probably need to be in the car given the distance and remoteness.

I've just had a look at public transport and the journey would probably have to be via Stranraer or Dumfries and them travelling onto Newton Stewart which which would be fair old journey with a few different connections.

It's definitely on the agenda at some point although I think our first outing will need to be slightly closer to home for logistics of public transport and somewhere easy for my wife to find us if she has to drive out and collect us for any reason:D.

Thanks for the suggestion Hobbes, genuinely appreciated mate.

Regards

NS40

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Cheers gsfgaz

I've heard a few folk here talk about Comrie Croft but never quite got round to looking it up. Looks like a pretty good place.

Their website has a pretty good explanation of how to get there so I'll have a wee look at the public transport options...it looks at first glance from their map as if it might be a case of getting a train or bus to Perth or Edinburgh then travelling on by local bus from there.

I'm keen for us to be able to do a bit of a walk-in to where we're camping so they get the chance to carry their gear for a while...do you know offhand if that's feasible? (just in case the walk-in isn't suitable for pedestrians)

I'll have a wee look at the traveline journey planner and see what it brings up up.

Many thanks and much appreciated.

NS40

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
No problem, it was either that or Greenock, so... :rolleyes:

Actually, I know the problems of accessing wild places by public transport - so good on you for going with it!

Greenock would be good fun too hobbes...good mackerel fishing too down there :)

I'm keen for the boys to work out most of the trip themselves so the public transport bit and the walk in becomes part of the adventure. There were a few places that looked ideal but the logistics of getting there have been pretty monstrous.

Apart from the Loch Lomond area, I knew there was loads of great walking and forestry commission areas up around Aberfoyle as we've camped/walked in the area quite a bit before. Unfortunately getting there without taking a car seems to involve going going to Stirling then backtracking via multiple buses.

Every suggestion helps though, even if it's not practical for this trip I'm sure most if all will go on the to-do list.

Regards

NS40

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
I've not done much camping west of the Trossachs yet but one place nearish to Glasgow I've always had an eye on is up around Inverary.

Taking a look at it on Google Maps throws up many possible places not too far from the town and if I remember correctly the bus to Oban used to stop there so all you and your boys would need to do would be to get to Buchannan Street and then hop on the bus for Oban.

This route looks promising on Walk Highlands:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/dun-na-cuaiche.shtml

A short not too difficult walk, near to the bus stop at Inverary and with a few patches of non-plantation woods which are better for hammock camping in my experience.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Thanks Woadhart

Inverary's a great little place, I've been there with the kids a few times but always by car. I'll look into the Oban bus as that could be a good option for Inverary but also a few other possible places along the route.

Good fishing in Inverary too and the walk you suggested sounds good.

Thanks again.

NS40

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Thanks JAG009, loads of interesting possibilities there...I think I'll be having a look through them over the next couple of days for ideas.

Much appreciated

NS40

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Have a look at the isle of Cumbrae, in the Firth of Clyde. Not remote, easy access via train to Largs and then ferry, and can be busy during peak tourist season, but if you get to the north west corner of the island (or just the north end generally) away from the town of Millport, there are lots of good beach camping spots. Given decent weather, it can be both quiet and gorgeous. There are some decent inland spots as well, if you ignore the island high point which is a bit of a tourist magnet.

I lived there for 3 years, and for a small island with a high tourist number, there are plenty of quiet spots where you can easily disappear.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Thanks Harvestman

I haven't been to Millport since I was a kid but remember cycling around the place constantly. It's one place I never thought about really for camping. That could also give us access to a bit of fishing too.

Thanks for another cracking idea.

NS40

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Crianlarich or Tyndrum are accessible by train, could be used to access the West Highland Way.

Then there is Corrour Station, but it is seriously remote with no easy escape until the next train comes. Although there is a youth hostel.

If you do end up at Comrie Croft, send me a PM and if I'm free I'd be happy to give you a lift from Comrie Croft to Loch Earn and back with loan of my canoe.

Aberfoyle area is nice with lots of woodland but I guess the transport side could be difficult.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Hi Doc

I had been thinking about Tyndrum...loads of good hammocking areas and a few good walks as well, as well as the option of doing a section of the WHW. Certainly reasonably easy to get to as the Oban and Fort William buses run right through it.

My first thought had been Aberfoyle as there's lots of good Forestry commission trails, a few good fishing areas (although seems that most permits have to be bought in Callander). We camp at the Cobleland campsite just south of Aberfoyle quite often so know the area fairly well. The public transport side though seems to be difficult but not impossible...just a lot of time in transit with a lot of backtracking.

Comrie certainly sounds great and the offer of a lift is very much appreciated but is probably slightly too far out at the moment (my youngest isn't great at travelling, even worse on buses). I'm quite keen to get the boys along to one of the moots there at some point as I know they'd love being in the company of other bushcrafty/hammocky folks.

Cheers Doc, very much appreciated

Regards

NS40

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE