Public liability insurance for craft fairs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm hoping to have a stall at a craft fair in December (first one I've done), but the organisers say I must have public liability insurance. Do any of you do this and have any suggestions for appropriate policies (and likely costs)?

Thanks

Geoff

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
are you demonstrating or just trading?

Market traders lot wouldn't insure me because I demonstrate. So I'm with the craftsman insurance (Ian Wallace) lot, they cover most of the craftspeople I know and are pretty good too.

Mind you, you don't really know how good an insurance company is until you need them! :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Worthwhile checking your household insurance; it used to be a standard feature.
Though in these litigatious times.....:dunno:

cheers,
M

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks all so far. It would simply be for selling leathergoods. I did wonder about my household insurance, and will have a check this evening. As far as I can tell so far from the organisers, the main reason is in case the table or gazebo falls on someone (or something similar).

Geoff

Thanks all so far. It would simply be for selling leathergoods. I did wonder about my household insurance, and will have a check this evening. As far as I can tell so far from the organisers, the main reason is in case the table or gazebo falls on someone (or something similar).

Geoff

yes for the Cranborne wood fair we have to fill in a risk assesment of all risks

there stated one is what if the wind picks up and if the measures you have stated fail what then
they seemed ot be happy with it will be pegged securely and if that fails due to very high wind i will pack up n go home due to hurricane

bearing in mind they haven't stated where exactly the Stand will be in the lay out so i cant risk assess properly ( could be on concrete hard standing in which case pegs aint much use as a specified action etc )

nore have they showed me any risk assessments they make ie every tree for potential branch drop etc or actions on Rabbid Dog loose ( in daves case actions is to cover lunch in a secure box ;) )

ATB

Duncan IOSH Managing Safely

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
I joined the MArket traders Federation as membership comes with Cover included its £90 a year membership
you also get product and staff cover etc
covers your car boot sales and europe

http://www.nmtf.co.uk/

A
TB

Duncan

but then if you are driving to the craft fayre in your car/van/truck you need to tell your vehicle insurer you are a market trader - mor eand more and more complicated by the minute

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yes for the Cranborne wood fair we have to fill in a risk assesment of all risks

there stated one is what if the wind picks up and if the measures you have stated fail what then
they seemed ot be happy with it will be pegged securely and if that fails due to very high wind i will pack up n go home due to hurricane

bearing in mind they haven't stated where exactly the Stand will be in the lay out so i cant risk assess properly ( could be on concrete hard standing in which case pegs aint much use as a specified action etc )

nore have they showed me any risk assessments they make ie every tree for potential branch drop etc or actions on Rabbid Dog loose ( in daves case actions is to cover lunch in a secure box ;) )

ATB

Duncan IOSH Managing Safely

The risk assesments are a farce, but do get people thinking about what they are doing. I tend to fill them out accurately but a little cheakily (would I do anything else?!). Such things appear as:

Hazard: forge (very very hot fire)
Persons at risk: The public, myself and all those around me
Controls to minimise risk: the public/others are kept at bay by a rope and I stay out of the fire
Further Action: I have a bucket of water for dousing the flames (exchanging burning for scalding) and keeping irreverant members of the public from the fire

Elven Saftey. marvelous :rolleyes:

I have a fairly relaxed attitude to H&S but I do make sure the things around me and my way of working is as safe as is practical; mostly because I'm too clumsy to take risks. That said, when H&S means fitting gaurds and the like that in the real world make the tool more dangerous then they are coming off! For example, I've got a nice angle grinder that has a fast-stop clutch to make it safer. Yep it stops fast, but the nut undoes itself and sends a cutting/grinding disc flying off at speed! Genius

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks to all of you for the various suggestions.

I was close to buying a new policy for public liability, as the documentation for my home insurance didn't say anything about PL insurance, but thought I'd give them a call and it turns out that my combined buildings and contents policy does include £2m public liability cover...:D

...so, if anyone else is in a similar situation, may be worth calling your insurer before shelling out £50-£100 for a new policy.

Geoff

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The risk assesments are a farce, but do get people thinking about what they are doing. I tend to fill them out accurately but a little cheakily (would I do anything else?!). Such things appear as:

Hazard: forge (very very hot fire)
Persons at risk: The public, myself and all those around me
Controls to minimise risk: the public/others are kept at bay by a rope and I stay out of the fire
Further Action: I have a bucket of water for dousing the flames (exchanging burning for scalding) and keeping irreverant members of the public from the fire

Elven Saftey. marvelous :rolleyes:

I have a fairly relaxed attitude to H&S but I do make sure the things around me and my way of working is as safe as is practical; mostly because I'm too clumsy to take risks. That said, when H&S means fitting gaurds and the like that in the real world make the tool more dangerous then they are coming off! For example, I've got a nice angle grinder that has a fast-stop clutch to make it safer. Yep it stops fast, but the nut undoes itself and sends a cutting/grinding disc flying off at speed! Genius

That's the spirit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE