Prussic Knots on Amsteel - My Method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushmatt

Apr 26, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hey Folks

Been lurking on the forum for some time now as a guest, thought I should contribute something to this fabulous community :)

Anyway, I had been having trouble finding something strong enough, yet lightweight and effective to use as a prussic tensioner for my DD tarp ridgeline. I'm using Amsteel Blue cordage for the ridge, and have tried various other cords and more loops on the prussic with varying levels of success. I now believe I have come up with an effective and dirt cheap and lightweight solution, using the core strands of para cord.

I quite enjoy anything ropework related, and was playing around braiding some paracord bracelet bits when this idea hit me - why not braid some inner cores of the paracord to create the prussic? I imagined it would work quite well, given it has a much thinner diameter than the amsteel yet retains a decent breaking strain (I'm using 3 cores braided as you would braid hair).

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The 2 cords at the top are the completed braids, with three inner core strands below for reference. I knotted and melted the ends to prevent fraying.

IMG_20120425_164230.jpg

Here you can see the completed prussic attached to the ridgeline. The prussic is wound 4 times around the Amsteel, it would be fine with 3 but I used 4 just in case. I tied the paracord to the tarp using a fishermans bend (quite difficult with such tiny cord!). The prussic works perfectly and has a very good bite once tensioned.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE