Prototype Shirt/Jacket

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Sniper, what do you think of the material in the second one, i take it its a brit army bed blanket? i made my first one out of the very same type of blanket, the only down side is i thought the material lacked strength, i could pull it apart quite easily the stitches held the actual material fibres pulled apart, the jacket itself looks good by the way.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I've double stitiched it and it seems to be really quite strong. I've certainly had a couple of problems putting it together, I sewed one of the arms inside out but had to cut it with scissors to seperate it as I could'nt pull it apart. Still not sure whether to sew up the front and have it as a pull on or put velcro on and keep it as a front opener.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I had thought about a shoulder yolk using the same stuff as the pamper flap lining Scoops but I think it may be a little ambitious for me at this time as this is my first attempt.

It's looking great Sniper, for the shoulders I was thinking more rectangular patches over the shoulders than a full yolk.

Are you machine sewing it?

Scoops

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
id personnely keep it a front opener but id use buttons and loops (leather or para cord) as
a closure method, i find them a pain pulling on over other wool layers or fleeces especially if you've got a few under layers on.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's really neat! I'm hoping I can make something like that myself, although i doubt the whip stitching along the edge will look as good as yours. You should be very happy with that, it's a good job!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Looking good John,

If for only camp duties and around the fire,i'd have a 'map' pocket for sundries and a slit at each side to put your hands inside the garment to warm same.

'Mind the 'kiss' principal.

Hood and sit patch are good ideas though.

Tom.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Ok finished Mk 2 version, and the whip stitching was already on it Spam so cannot take any credit for that. Here we go then I decided on a front opener cos as Andybysea says it's a pain getting on over layers, and you could sew on rectangular patches on the shoulder Scoop but it would have to be done by hand as I ain't that good with the sewing machine yet, but after 2 days of this I'm definately getting better at it. Could also put patches on the elbows as wear pads too might be an idea.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You could put a cape over the shoulder areas to give a double thickness which will help with shedding rainwater in a light shower. That wouldn't be too difficult. It's a top job that though.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Just noticed the misalignment of the pockets in the photo that is because the wife who was modelling it for me did'nt put it on straight when I took the pics. They are straight in real life though, I am looking for some large buttons suitable for the top pockets and that as they say will be that.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Very nice.

Fold-down flap could be bigger, that would increase holdingspace for any game or grub you find/catch. aswell as keep you from pulling the flap away from underneath you, when you try to sit on it while leaning forward. Aswell as adding some of the green material (just forgotten the word here :lmao: ) on the shirt itself, where the flap is. (To keep blood or fruitjuice soak through, when its used as a grub-container)

A inside cordage around the waistline to make it fit a bit better might be good.

But a very good idea, very nicely made real.
It has inspired me a great deal, so no promises made, but i might just attempt doing one myself.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Go and find a piece of larch, cut discs off and rub on some sandpaper till they are nice and smooth. Pop two holes in them, oil them and they'll do just the job as buttons!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The flap is a bit misleading in the photo DKW it is actually large enough for to hold a small to medium rabbit no problem i'ts about 10" and when dropped it's about 18" to the back of the thighs

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
The flap is a bit misleading in the photo DKW it is actually large enough for to hold a small to medium rabbit no problem i'ts about 10" and when dropped it's about 18" to the back of the thighs

Oh. Well. Hard to tell from the picture. Just edited my initial last post, but will repeat again just in case:
Aswell as adding some of the green material (just forgotten the word here :lmao: ) on the shirt itself, where the flap is. (To keep blood or fruitjuice soak through, when its used as a grub-container)

But really nice work Sniper. Just considering choice of materials for a similar project now. Ventile with thin merino-liner perhaps? Huge chestpocket in dual layer, with the sideloaded innerlayer lined with merino aswell?
Buttons as closure styled like on your MK1.
Entire one side of the shirt to be buttoned to ensure easy on/off of the thing.
Foldable flap going halfway up the back of the shirt, lined with waterresistant layer on shirtside and flap-side.
One sidepocket lined with waterresistant layer with drainage on the bottom...

Just a few thoughts again :rolleyes: Don't mind me rambling on do you?

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
That's looking really great. How about a three piece hood, flat over the top with two sides (hope that makes sense) would make it sit better, although the point is kind of cool.

Scoops

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Not at all mate, I have a few more blankets still, and if this weather keeps up I will probably make a couple more with different design bits added. If people like them then I'm always open for swaps. But my Mk2 is just right for me, until I do something a bit better.
Many thanks for all the nice comments folks and ideas this has been fun making and will probably do a few more just cos it's enjoyable and good to share ideas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE