proofing an M65 jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
just landed myself a longterm voluntary position as an asst warden/forester at a local NT piece of woodland (this is part one of a longterm plan). Now, this will require me to be "outdoors in all weathers" and I suspect my Lowe Alpine jacket may not be upto the rigours of this sort of work. When I'm working outdoors in the more inclement months I tend to wear my M65 polycotton jacket, but it's not waterproof. Has anyone any experience with proofing these garments? Was it very successful? I realise it'll never keep the wet out like gore tex, but it's not like I'll be in the back of beyond either, so just the bulk of it will do.

EDIT: and apologies of this has been asked before, I did search, honest...

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
:) I used Nikwax cotton proof, then a spray . It does bead the lite stuff up nicely, but you will "wet Out" in heavy stuff. Mine is the poly cotton blend, which I find dries fast anyway.
Hope you find this useful,
Kevin

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have an M65 jacket that I proofed with a wash-in proofer - it wasn't Nikwax, but was whatever I could find at the time. It's OK, the water beads up, but it's not totally waterproof. I usually wear a poncho over the top if it's tipping down. Depends what sort of activity you'd be doing I suppose.

I also have a Buffalo Special 6 shirt and the other weekend when it was really cold and wet, that was absolutely fantastic.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I have a fuera smock, which I'm planning on wearing underneath the jacket in really heavy rain. Together they should (he hopes:lmao: ) keep out the rain.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I have used Nikwax cotton proof on my m65 and it is OK in very light rain, otherwise it soaks up water like a sponge. my advice is get a poncho and it will keep you dry while your m65 keeps you warm. one good thing about the m65 is that it keeps you "relatively" warm even when its wet. so if you don't mind being damp a good thick woolly jumper underneath is also good.

HTH

Andy

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi TMM,
just a thought but have you considered using the Dryzabone cloth treatments?

I know you can get in the UK from most good outdoor supply stores.

All you have to do is make sure the garment is good and clean and then paint on the solution, it turns the jacket into a a good oilskin type garment which is water proof, breaths and will make the garment quieter too, it stays that way for a long time, just needs a reproofing every couple of years...

I have done this with a couple of things to create a set of waterproofs in the past and it worked great... admitidly it will smell a little at first but after some time in use it is fine...

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Karl :)

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
Have you thought about acquiring one of SASS's Goretex Stash-Away Smock Liners? You can proof the M65 to cope with light showers, but underneath it you can have the added protection of Goretex. A durable and showerproof outer shell, with a waterproof, wicking inner. What's not to like?

For £24.99 you get, and I quote from their website "This new GORETEX® garment with its fast wicking PERTEX® lining will help keep you dry, warm, comfortable, even safe and fully functioning. Foul weather? Just wear the Goretex® liner underneath your Outer Jacket. Yet when not needed it is compact enough to be carried in a SAS smock pocket! Designed as a button-in liner for the Dutch Forces’ Parka, SASS have added front buttons, so can be worn underneath any type of smock/jacket as an independant clothing layer. The Dutch Forces wanted weather protection without the weight, bulk, shine, rustle and easily damaged outer jacket, and the problems of a permanently sewn-in liner. New unissued, supplied to SASS in original manufacturer’s boxes".

SASS seem to have a good rep for value kit amongst BCUK members. Well, it's one possible solution.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Equally a cheapo cag from the market worn under your M65 will keep you dry during downpours and can be stashed in a pocket in better weather....and cost less!

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've had the same experience as those above with my polycotton M65 and nikwax cotton proof. It's ok in light showers. I carry a Mammut Precip lightweight shell to put over or under depending on the need for waterproofing/toughness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE