Promising youngster!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I just have to share this with you!

On sunday afternoon I was in my shed making a cover for another of my axes (design copied loosley from GB) when I was joined by my 12 year old step son. He asked "What are you doing Dave?) I explained.
"Can I make one" he said.

"Yes" I replied.

"You'll have to buy me an axe then!" he said.

Quick thinking and a rumage round tured up a cheapo chinese hatchet, complete with £2.99 price sticker still in place, which I gave him.

With a bit of instruction he marked out the leather (more of my old school satchel!) and cut it out with a little mora I gave him a while back. He then set the rivets himself, only needing me to fit the snap fastener and mark where to kut the keeper strap. End result a nicely made cover for his hatchet.

From there he was straight off to the chopping block to try the axe.

Now he wants to build a shelter using his axe and mora! Excellent. :-D :-D

Dave the proud step-father!

P.S. Guess which show we're off to on sunday!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
P.S. Guess which show we're off to on sunday!

urm... er... hang on, it's on the tip of my tongue...

Seriously, I get a similar buzz whenever one of the Scouts manages to do something for the first time; especially if they thought it impossible.

The smile on the face of a lad who's (for instance) just conquered a fear of heights by shimmying up a climbing wall is something to be treasured. It makes you think "hey, maybe I'm doing some good here after all!"

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
nice one dave :-D , my almost 7 year old daughter built her first shelter in challock forest the other day as a suprise for mummy and daddy,using tips she`d got from her bushcraft book :-D , then when we were watching tracks the other night she yelled out "look daddy ,ray mears has got a swanni like yours" :-D dont miss a thing do they

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
MartiniDave said:
Now he wants to build a shelter using his axe and mora! Excellent. :-D :-D

Dave the proud step-father!

Great! :super: :-D Hope he stays interested, cause then we allready got 2 writers to BCUK in the future! (Me and him, for now) Buuut, surely there going to be more! ;) :cool: :-D hehe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE