Professional Knife Sharpening Service?

Sep 11, 2014
Swansea
Hi,
I've got a Cold Steel SRK that I stupidly let somebody sharpen on a grinder. My inexperience. I know better now.
Any way, since then I can't get an edge on the knife at all. I think I'd like to let a professional take a look.
I did make enquiries on here, but about 18 months ago. I've been ill, so I've only just returned.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
It's possible the grinder overheated the blade & ruined the temper of the steel.
That may be why you can't get a good edge.

There's a guy on BritishBlades who offers a service using a 'Wicked Edge' system if you want flat bevel 'v' edge.
Or you could try yourself with an affordable 3 stone Lansky guided system.

For a convex edge the guru is Longstrider, who I believe is a member here.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
A 'pro' will charge around £15-40 for a full resharpen and some edge fixing.

I can help you out though, I do tool restorations regularly and have done for years, make knives, and sharpen knives for people from time to time, including cut throat razors.

Send me a PM if interested. :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are at least half a dozen "sharpening systems" that you can work with.
From a few sheets of fine automotive finishing abrasives to machines costing a kilobuck or more.
DIY
Pick one and learn it. The skill transfers to every edge in your house.
I confess that I stumbled and went to bed wondering why an edge was not sharp.
The next day was another experiment.

I'm only and just competent to do every edge freehand.
I will say that I have a really smug pleasure to be able to do it all.
From scissors to Pacific Northwest carvers adzes and planer knives.

I was in a wood show recently. Supposed to show off wood carving.
I was honing my PacNW crooked carving knives over my knee.

Look. Your knife edge is upscrewed. That's a fact.
You might as well mess with it to learn what "carving sharp" really means.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What kind of grinder was used? Bench grinder, belt grinder or wet wheel? It is possible to burn an edge on a belt grinder, but not to a very great depth unless you really are an idiot. Bench grinders build heat a lot faster and it is easier to get a deeper heat effected zone.

I have an SRK and long since stopped bothering trying to sharpen it. Its a Cold Steel with 3/16 stock and sabre grind, they advertise such things by stabbing them through car doors and chopping cement blocks; the edge is so thick that unless one does a fair bit of re-shaping it'll never be much good for cutting stuff. I have the gear to do a regrind, and know how, but have since found that I don't like the handle, the clip point, the length of ricasso and the blade length. Lots of better knives for outdoor use out there.

Were you not able to contact Longstrider over on British Blades? He was suggested to you when you first asked and he is the person I was about to suggest again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE