Professional knife regrind

Sep 11, 2014
Swansea
Hi
I'm new to these forums,so apologies if this is common knowledge. I have a Cold Steel SRK knife that has unfortunately been sharpened by a complete idiot in the past. I've been advised that it needs a regrind to restore the knife to its former good self.
I'm not up to the task, so can anyone recommend a reliable and knowledgeable professional I can send it to, and what sort of grind I might require?
Thanks

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
How bad is it? Some pics would be useful, the SRK looks to have a high sabre grind, you might have 2 options depending on the damage, reprofiling the secondary bevel to convex, or a complete regrind to FFG, Longstrider might be another option for you.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I just got an old elwell felling axe re-ground by Kristophish and the finish is superb, sharp enough to shave hairs.

Ooh let's see!?

How bad is it? Some pics would be useful, the SRK looks to have a high sabre grind, you might have 2 options depending on the damage, reprofiling the secondary bevel to convex, or a complete regrind to FFG, Longstrider might be another option for you.

If the chap is new then that might need translating.. Lol.

A picture sure would help! I doubt its as bad as you might think, unless its chipped, bent and been on a grinder in the dark it may just need a clean up and sharpen.

There are lots of makers and capable womblers on here. All of which are likely to offer a reprofiling/grinding/sharpening service for a small fee. With the right advice though I bet you can do it yourself with a cheap diamond sharpener and some sand paper!

Pictures are the best way to gain advice though, so get snapping!

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
If the chap is new then that might need translating.. Lol.

Yeah, your right Samon :surrender:

Let's hope we get some pics up, my guess is that it might not be that bad.

Black coated blades never look pretty if they have been used properly, to a newbie a bit of wear might look like the end of the world.

Sep 11, 2014
Swansea
Thanks for all the advice. I will have to get some pictures on. I am concerned that if i do it myself, I may make it worse, hence my reluctance to give it a go. I will perhaps contact Longstrider as suggested. The only other knife I have has a Scandinavian grind, so i've been thinking of trying to get the SRK the same grind if possible. I find it very easy to keep an edge with this knife

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Thanks for all the advice. I will have to get some pictures on. I am concerned that if i do it myself, I may make it worse, hence my reluctance to give it a go. I will perhaps contact Longstrider as suggested. The only other knife I have has a Scandinavian grind, so i've been thinking of trying to get the SRK the same grind if possible. I find it very easy to keep an edge with this.

Hi Nick, you wont be able to get the SRK reground to a scandi, as there will not be enough meat on the blade to form the bevels.

Depending on the existing damage you may have to go convex, or just get the knife tarted up by an expert as the grinds stand now.

Here is a link re knife grinds that may help you

http://backyardbushman.com/?page_id=13

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Depends on the damage, without pictures it is difficult to say. If it is just the secondary bevel then that should be able to be done on bench stones. As Silverback says not enough steel to go Scandi grind.

Sep 11, 2014
Swansea
Thanks for the advice. I'm currently struggling to get some pictures worth putting up. I only have a crappy camera phone.The regrind link is spot on, cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE