Product quality.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I recently bought a pair of boots from a shop that rhymes with 'Mountain Warehouse'.
They have started breaking after a month of street pounding and a bit of garden work.
Has anyone else had issues with their products, 'cause I will certainly not be shopping there again, had a similar thing with the day packs.:(

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
They opened a store in my parents' town and I had a good look around. What I saw made me deeply distrustful of them, from a quality perspective. I didn't like what I saw, but thought I would use them for a small, low cost item and see how it went....I can now say that at least one type of their boot laces are rubbish! If they can't even sell half decent boot laces I don't think it bodes well for other gear. Will not buy from them again.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I receive emails from them with the offers and sales they have on, from time to time. They always look to good to be true.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
They are firmly at the cheaper end of the market, but are not all bad. We have a briefcase style two ring burner that is still working absolutely fine after three years (including two full Bushmoots; only 25 quid too) ; my daughter has a couple of their merino base layers that she's worn for a week's conservation work in Iceland and most of the Bushmoot just gone, again all fine still.
You've just got to be a bit choosy I guess.

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Mountain Warehouse is certainly an avoid - most of its stuff is fairly overpriced or outright tat (Ok, you can be lucky - my wife bought a light fleece for a fiver which seems to have survived OK). I was chatting some months back with the staff of an about to be closed down Blacks, who were really annoyed that they were closing and reopening some months later as a Milletts, right next to Mountain Warehouse - quite rightly they thought of them as selling not very good stuff, with constant 'sales' to give the impression to the unwary that they were getting some sort of bargain. As someone commented, they look too good to be true! They do much the same as Sports Direct, which is another place which I avoid.

The fact that their staff discount in 50%, when the generous retailer (like Blacks or my employer) gives you 25% says a lot about their wholesale unit price, and hence quality.

Even Blacks would be a better choice, and you can pick up some good deals in Lidl/Aldi or TKMaxx. Personally, Cotswolds is a place which has better stuff, and if you buy carefully, you might not be paying much more money. And Alpkit does far better sleeping bags, etc for little more cash.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Can't you get the boots changed under warrantee? I doubt they'll kick up much of a fuss and if they break again then you'll have a good case to get your money back. Customer services tend to be really good in competitive markets.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Have you contacted them about the issue before trying to shame them? I'm not saying they sell good quality, i don't even know the store you mean since i'm not from the UK, but most companies will respond if you go back to them with the receipt showing when you bought them and the damage to them (unless it's clear that you really just mistreated your gear.). If they don't, the warranty is indeed a good option. If that fails, you can go to consumer goods organisations, and the internet ;).

markjohnlang

Sep 12, 2013
stroud
does depend on what product, i have some trestex overtrousers and they were expensive (but heavily reduced) and have actually proved to be excellent very comfortable, breathable and durable. In general products are cheap and nasty, but there is good stuff in there as well.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Congratulations You've just been taught about Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice the hard way.

Yeah, Mountain Warehouse is cheap stuff of low quality. You're better off buying something better quality else ware.

Of note, I bought a pair of shoes from Cotswolds, and as I have their loyalty card thingy, they had a 2 year warranttee, so when they started to fall apart, I took them back, and they replaced them then and there, no questions asked, even tho I walked in with them on my feet. They gave me a new pair. When they failed a few months later, I went for something different that's the same price.

J

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Mountain warehouse ? I cant think what rhymes with that!

Most chinese clones seem to be ok. I find alot of stuff made by people who do not know what they are doing in a particular field dubious,there seems to be a move from stove companies selling stoves and tent companies selling tents towards every company selling everything, and the quality of all products suffer. Karrimor being a prime example.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Well I tend to disagree 4 merino zip tops still going strong after two years several pairs of the merino socks worn all the time in the winter. A pair of boots bought 4 years ago still going strong. A pair of walking shoes over a year old still ok I wear these ones everyday. Two pairs of zip off light trousers I wear in Greece for hiking 18 months old still good. A couple of linen shirts again worn an awful lot.

Maybe I've been lucky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE