Problems drying wood

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I want to dry some wood, so that i can use it for the handle in my new knife project.

The only problem is that the wood keeps on cracking. I have tried hairdrying it - which i expected to crack the wood - and i tried slowly drying it on my workbench. It cracked the second time, which i was a bit supprised about.

Anybody got any ideas what I can do to dry the wood successfully?

Thanks,
Ph34r

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've left a load outside in a box for months at a time, then moved it into a shed for a few more then moved it inside with success. When I haven't been very patient and brought it in too soon it usually cracks. If the piece was big enough I worked round the split with no further problems. Not sure if there's a quick fix, if there is I hope someone shares it!!!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
you can also wrap small bits in a paper bag, i just leave mine outside to dry in a sheltered spot, a large piece of wood could take some months to dry out completely though so for a small bit i would try the paper bag in a cool dark cupboard trick for a few weeks

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If you get a log a few times larger than you need, split in half or quarters, which will take some tension out of it. Dry outside under cover with plenty of air around, for a few of the warmer months and you can start to use it normally after that.

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
How thick is the wood?

Is it in boards/planks or blocks, log for etc.

If in plank / board / slab form you need to allow roughly 1 year slow seasoning per inch of thickness. You can also seal ends with emulsion and keep topping up the emulsion if it cracks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE