problem with sloe whisky

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm clearing out the guddle that is my pantry, and at the bottom of one of the wine racks I've come across a bottle of Sloe Whisky that, according to the label, I made in Winter 2006.
Half full, the bottle appeared as though it were full of jelly :confused: ?? Whisky, sloe flavoured, jelly :eek:, like runny jelly jam.

Question is; is this the pectin that's finally thickened it all up ?
If it is, can it be somehow or other cleared out ?
Or should I just use the stuff up in Hot Toddies ?

It tastes brilliant :D

cheers,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I found a old half bottle of rumtopf that had gone goopy. Smelt like alcohol still so drink it. I have no idea what process made it go thick, it was syrup like. I checked it didn't "string" like spoiled homebrew before drinking. It would of being a 2008 bottle. Tasted great :christmas1: much richer that usual.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I'd go with the pectin idea. I have a jar of hawthorn steeped brandy which went that way. Wierd but nothing wrong with it (waste not... etc).

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
wow sloe whiskey never thought of that! Bet that is lovely. Made some sloe gin for the first time last year, which is rather nice, but im going to try sloe vodka and now sloe whiskey this year :)

P

Pcwizme

Pectin reasoning sounds reasonable, did it still have the sloes in? or had you removed them? (i normally remove mine from gin between 3 and 6 months)
If you hadnt removed them then the berrys may have just broken down in to the jelly

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No fruits left in the bottle. I strain through a kitchen towel lined funnel into a clean bottle before I put it away to mellow.
If this had been wine I'd have thought I'd created a vinegar mother, but it's way to strongly alcoholic for that.

cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I aint convinced that its pectin, fruit of the prunus don't really have much pectin.

I'm going to look this one up.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gloopy whisky it is then :rolleyes:

The moral of the tale is don't plank it at the back of the pantry; get it out and drunk around the fire :D

If it's pectin could I not heat it up and it would.....well, would it strain ? or would it just go back to jelly when it cooled ?
I don't want to boil off the alcohol but this looks kind of like linctus tbh.

Hey, maybe I've invented the ultimate sore throat/ flu medicine :D

cheers,
Mary

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I doubt you'd be able to strain it, the pectin would liquify and go straight through even a muslin bag. Like it does when making jelly.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You can't strain the pectin, but you might be able to get rid of it using pectolase. Available from all homebrew shops.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I put a funnel into a jam jar last night, lined it with a coarse filter paper and filled it up with the gloop, and put the lid on the jar.

This morning I have *clear* liquid in the bottom of the jar. Not whisky coloured, not sloe coloured, just clear.

:dunno:

Totally weird.

cheers and thanks for the help and suggestions folks,

Mary

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
if the alcohol has precipitated the pectin i suppose that makes some kind of sense, especially if the other bits of organic matter have floculated (sp) into a goo.

what does the clear liquid taste of/ smell like?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE