Priorities.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
The rule of threes I was taught had one addition:-

* 3 minutes without air
* 3 hours without shelter
* 3 days without water
* 3 weeks without food
* 3 seconds with logging on here

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I went without food for around 24 day, a few years back, most of it lying down in a hospital bed and not exerting any energy moving or keeping warm, which probably helped, having what turned out to be, a gangrenous appendics and being asked to choose a lunch and dinner daily ( just incase they decided to let me eat later) definitely didn't. .

The going without food wasn't the worst, the lack of water, being allowed less than a small plastic cups worth a day, for around a week, was far worse, despite that I was being kept hydrated via a saline drip. Ever since I feel uncomfortable if I don't have at least .5lt of drinkable liquid on me at all times.

Yacobian

Aug 10, 2007
Bristol
I went without food for around 24 day, a few years back, most of it lying down in a hospital bed and not exerting any energy moving or keeping warm, which probably helped, having what turned out to be, a gangrenous appendics and being asked to choose a lunch and dinner daily ( just incase they decided to let me eat later) definitely didn't. .

The going without food wasn't the worst, the lack of water, being allowed less than a small plastic cups worth a day, for around a week, was far worse, despite that I was being kept hydrated via a saline drip. Ever since I feel uncomfortable if I don't have at least .5lt of drinkable liquid on me at all times.

Wow Glen, thats really odd. I also had a really bad (gangrenous) appendix about a year ago and spent about 3 weeks in hospital. They did the same thing to me, being hydrated by saline drip and making me choose meals that i was never to eat (thank god, i actually think they wouldve kept me in hospital...i still cant eat anything mushy after smelling that 'food' while in such a bad state...anyway..) The thing i find most odd is that I also feel really uncomfortable when i dont have my nalgene bottle full and in my bag at all times. To be fair, i wasnt thinking about food at all while i was in there because i was so ill. But i got to see how much the human body can take providing that it has an ample amount of hydration. While for the first few days i was sort of hungy, my body went into a mode where the need for food diminished over time .
I can really see now how much our bodies are capable of dealing with while under extreme pressure, while being in hospital was pretty much the crappest thing ever - it was a great experience to see what happens in those situations. Gave me the tiniest insight into what people in those situations must be physically feeling and how their bodies can cope.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE