Primus Omnilite TI questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So, as a result of the rather long [thread=122658]fuel thread[/thread] the Primus Omnilite TI has found itself at the top of my stove shopping list.

I have a couple of questions about it that I was hoping someone of this parish may be able to answer:

1) How small a cup or pot can you put it inside? What is the smallest diameter pot that it would fit inside?

2) Are there any issues with small diameter pots on the stove? If I put the evernew 400ml cup on the stove, would I find myself melting the insulation off the handles as the flame licks up the sides? The diameter of the pots/pans I am currently considering are 94mm, 98mm and 120mm. How would these fair on the Omnilite TI?

Thanks

Julia

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It fits in my 900ml pots, tall and wide. IIRC it goes in the Titan kettle too. I wouldn't want to squeeze it in, it'll damage the fuel line eventually.

The Omnilite will cook any size pot, even a 400ml mug, but full power will have some flame up the sides. As in all stoves, wider pots are better and it's best used at 75% of max power for the best efficiency. It simmers perfectly, same as the Omnifuel.

Folded dims are 9.5 x 11.5 x 7cm.

N

Nomad

I'm also curious about these...

The Primus web site only seems to indicate burn times for '230g', which I take to be a gas cartridge. How does it fare on petrol/white gas, and paraffin/diesel with the fuel bottle filled up to the mark?

The web site also lists it being about 200g lighter than the Omnifuel, which seems a big difference. Does the Omnilite Ti quoted weight include all of the bits (bottle, pump, etc)?

A photo or two of it packed up with something for scale would be appreciated.

N

Nomad

Thanks Julia.

Not including pouch or fuel, I make that 596g for the Omnifuel, and 413 for the Omnilite Ti. A difference of 183g, or exactly one Swiss Champ SAK, as it happens...

Last edited by a moderator:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I get about 4 hours of cooking time on 890ml of white gas. Paraffin will last longer as the jet is a 3rd smaller than gas but have never run a whole bottle of paraffin through at once so can't say.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'm also curious about these...

The Primus web site only seems to indicate burn times for '230g', which I take to be a gas cartridge. How does it fare on petrol/white gas, and paraffin/diesel with the fuel bottle filled up to the mark?

The web site also lists it being about 200g lighter than the Omnifuel, which seems a big difference. Does the Omnilite Ti quoted weight include all of the bits (bottle, pump, etc)?

A photo or two of it packed up with something for scale would be appreciated.

the omni is for 3+ people the lite up to two, the omnilite is less powerful, and more efficient for small quantities.

Seriously the omni is a serious and pricy cooker, not what you would buy for a few boils, but it is only roughly the same weight as a mimer stove and twice the pocket rocket, if you plan on using it more in future its a good investment, even just using it on gas!

A pocket rocket, or even better a soto regulator, a small cup and a 220g cartridge, windshield 600g all in. Nice and simple, and the pocket rocket is also cheap .

That doesn't help does it ? oh well.

The parraffin lasts ages in the omnifuel nomad significantly longer, but is also heavier, the petrol just outdid the gas slightly. The omnilight achieves this weightloss with a smaller pump, smaller bottle (330ml) smaller overall stove, and a bit of titanium.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The pump on the Omnilite is actually identical to the Omnifuel. I think they missed a trick there. The brass fuel union also seems very heavy, I'm sure it could have been slimmed a lot.

The huge difference is in the burner, it's much smaller. The burner has plenty of oomph for big pots, the difference in power will only be really noticed heating a lot of water/high altitude/extreme cold IME.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The pump on the Omnilite is actually identical to the Omnifuel. I think they missed a trick there. The brass fuel union also seems very heavy, I'm sure it could have been slimmed a lot.

The huge difference is in the burner, it's much smaller. The burner has plenty of oomph for big pots, the difference in power will only be really noticed heating a lot of water/high altitude/extreme cold IME.

really, I must admit suprise, the pumps are listed as seperate items on the primus website(or they where).

I know what you mean about the pump, I thought if they did a one piece thong like the base of a coleman featherlight, small pump, out of titanium, you could have had it a lot lighter, thought of cannibalizing one. i never really needed such a big bycicle pump of a thing for a small bottle either. But I suppose its for the hymalayas, to make things easy. Do you really need a bottle that contains anything more than 200ml per cooking stint and pressurising that ? The rest can go in a trangia bottle

Yup just looked on the website, there is a 3 gramme difference between the red and black.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Thanks Julia.

Not including pouch or fuel, I make that 596g for the Omnifuel, and 413 for the Omnilite Ti. A difference of 183g, or exactly one Swiss Champ SAK, as it happens...

IIRC !

the lighter newer omni stove without fuel or spares or bottle or pouch or pump or tool or windshield weighs 330 ish, the omnilite 220, which is the same as a liquid feed remote gas stove near enough.

The spares weigh 100g the pouch and tool 50g, the pumps about 100g the bottle 33cl about 80g the litre bottle about 150g, the windshield 30g.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
What items are in the spares kit? is the tool made of ti as well, or is it just steel? It looks like the pouch is the heaviest part of the whole stove. I wonder if a silnylon pouch would be more suitable.

Julia

Murdo

May 18, 2010
N Wales
Hi all. Quick question re the gas canisters used. primus say for safety reasons to only use their own brand. I know manufacturers often say that but equally don't want to mess with fire!

anyone use other brands?

What items are in the spares kit? is the tool made of ti as well, or is it just steel? It looks like the pouch is the heaviest part of the whole stove. I wonder if a silnylon pouch would be more suitable.

Julia

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi all. Quick question re the gas canisters used. primus say for safety reasons to only use their own brand. I know manufacturers often say that but equally don't want to mess with fire!

anyone use other brands?

All of them in Europe are made to EN specs by law. You can use them all.

Murdo

May 18, 2010
N Wales
thanks for that. what was making me twitchy is that in Primus instructions it says use Propane/ Butane and the Campingaz one we have says Propane/Butane CV 470 plus 450 g ...so wondered if mix wrong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE