Primus heat exchange pots and Trangia

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Has anyone used the Primus heat exchange pots on a Trangia (25 or 27), either with the Trangia burner or modified paraffin burner.

Which ones fit which stove, and given the shielding that the Trangia gives anyway, how much of an advantage do they have.

Although interested in any combinations, I am primarily interested in the 27 with the 1.7 or 2.1 litre pots, as I already have these, and I am toying with getting another Trangia.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
To at least partially answer my own question, after lots of searching.

Trangia Pans measure:

1.75l = 7.1" x 3"
1.5l = 6.7" x 3"
1l = 5.75" x 2.75"

frying pan 8.7" x 1.3" or 7.4" x 1.2"

The primus eta pot 1.7l is 6.75" x 3.5" 2.1l is 7.1" x 4.3"

So both eta power pots look as if they will sit inside the Trangia 25 windshield, supporting arms may need extended, but the strap may still be long enough hold the Trangia frying pan in place and keep everything together.

Of course the heat exchanger will hold the pot somewhat higher than the Trangia pot so there may be no advantage in any case.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Stop messing about and buy one of the these, job done for you;)

http://esbit.de/fileadmin/templates_esbit/pdf2009_eng/cookset.pdf

I have looked at those, and very nice they are too, but

a) I already have two eta heat exchange pots,

b) I see one of the trangia advantages is that the pot is sheltered from the wind as well as the burner, which they aren't with the esbit, and

c) the thing that has primarily brought me back to the Trangia is the factory fit option of primus omnifuel burner in a great windshield ( in fact I rather fancy the 111t burner fettle, but once you buy the bits its a pricey option)

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have looked at those, and very nice they are too, but

a) I already have two eta heat exchange pots,

b) I see one of the trangia advantages is that the pot is sheltered from the wind as well as the burner, which they aren't with the esbit, and

c) the thing that has primarily brought me back to the Trangia is the factory fit option of primus omnifuel burner in a great windshield ( in fact I rather fancy the 111t burner fettle, but once you buy the bits its a pricey option)

Graham

The 111T option works very very well, but one of the stovies in the States is making 'silent dampers' that fit the Omnifuel stove which removes all the noise of the roarer burner if you like a more quiet cooking experience. This guy is a fantasic engineer and his work is first rate. It might not be much cheaper than the 111T conversion kit but its setup in seconds.

Bernie is a top man and will answer all your questions, and he does kits for other stoves including the Nova.

http://home.comcast.net/~bigdog660/Bluewater_Stove_Restoration/OmniDawg.html

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The 111T option works very very well, but one of the stovies in the States is making 'silent dampers' that fit the Omnifuel stove which removes all the noise of the roarer burner if you like a more quiet cooking experience. This guy is a fantasic engineer and his work is first rate.l

I had the Omnidawg in mind when thinking about the Omnifuel. In general I like the 1111t silent burner option.

I am assuming that the Trangia Omnifuel will still take the Omnidawg. Primus are saying they are not the same stove.

The Trangia/Omnifuel/Omnidawg is incredibly attractive to me, but in truth I already have more stoves than I can justify. Not that its going to stop me getting another one :)

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had the Omnidawg in mind when thinking about the Omnifuel. In general I like the 1111t silent burner option.

I am assuming that the Trangia Omnifuel will still take the Omnidawg. Primus are saying they are not the same stove.

The Trangia/Omnifuel/Omnidawg is incredibly attractive to me, but in truth I already have more stoves than I can justify. Not that its going to stop me getting another one :)

Graham

Ahh, I've only got two standard Omnifuels so won't be buying the 'new' Trangia omni. Perhaps take some good photo's of the burner and send them to Bernie?

Bernies dampers are quite spooky when you first try them on something like a 96,8R or 123...no noise:eek:

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Ahh, I've only got two standard Omnifuels so won't be buying the 'new' Trangia omni. Perhaps take some good photo's of the burner and send them to Bernie?

Bernies dampers are quite spooky when you first try them on something like a 96,8R or 123...no noise:eek:

No noise sounds good :)

I'm sure I have seen pictures of your set up, but are you using the Trangia/Nova adaptor for the Omnifuel?

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/o...ct/optimus-zubeh246r/optimus-trangia-adapter/

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No noise sounds good :)

I'm sure I have seen pictures of your set up, but are you using the Trangia/Nova adaptor for the Omnifuel?

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/o...ct/optimus-zubeh246r/optimus-trangia-adapter/

Graham

Yep, Omnifuel, I've got a Lidl Trangia clone setup permanently for this purpose

The black non stick pans came from Aldi, about £8, fantastic pots they are too and fit the clone well. Boil time are on a par with the ETA pots on a standard stove.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Yep, Omnifuel, I've got a Lidl Trangia clone setup permanently for this purpose

The black non stick pans came from Aldi, about £8, fantastic pots they are too and fit the clone well. Boil time are on a par with the ETA pots on a standard stove.

Actually, it was the adaptor I was asking about. Some people seem to use the official Optimus Nova adaptor for the Trangia, with the Omnifuel, but from your pics it doesn't look as if this is what you have used. Actually, having investigated further, it looks as if the Optimus Nova adaptor has changed its design, so it could well be the Optimus Nova adaptor you are using.

Have you tried the eta pots with the Trangia? My suspicion is that having the pot enclosed by the wind shield will reduce any benefits of the heat exchanger, and indeed as you have said, will make ordinary pots very efficient anyway.

Graham

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sorry Graham, misread your post. The adaptors I use for the Nova/Omnifuel/MSR/Hong Kong multifuel is the generic Trangia adaptor from base camp, about £7 I think

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Sorry Graham, misread your post. The adaptors I use for the Nova/Omnifuel/MSR/Hong Kong multifuel is the generic Trangia adaptor from base camp, about £7 I think

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. While I am still making up my mind about what to do, it seems more verstaile to buy the Omnifuel (with legs) and an adaptor, rather than the dedicated Trangia version.

Even though Primus suggest that this is more dangerous because of increased CO2 build up from the standard Omnifuel. But then that is something we should be aware of anyway if cooking in a confined space.

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. While I am still making up my mind about what to do, it seems more verstaile to buy the Omnifuel (with legs) and an adaptor, rather than the dedicated Trangia version.

Even though Primus suggest that this is more dangerous because of increased CO2 build up from the standard Omnifuel. But then that is something we should be aware of anyway if cooking in a confined space.

Graham

Agree 100%, I see no point in the dedicated Trangia stove when conversion is so easy anyway, plus your right about the CO2, good ventilation stops this being a problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE