Primus ferro rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
A couple of years ago I bought a Primus ferro rod and stricker.

Anyone else have one?
I can't believe how bad / useless it is for such a well known brand. Far too hard. Or is there a trick to it?

Yes, I know how to use them. I have about 10 other brands incl flint and steels.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I have had mine for a few years now and it is my go to firelighter. It stays in my camping box all summer and then hangs in the shed all winter and never had any trouble getting sparks.
IMG_2645.JPG

Reactions: Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
That's the one.
Mine hardly works. Just tried 5 scrapes in a row. Got 1 small spark that travelled 20cm.
I can feel the scraper bight in, so I know it is not me being useless.
I can use a saw blade but it won't last long that way.

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
Maybe mine was from a bad batch.
But unless there is a secret to unleashing its sparks - it is a piece of junk.

Riven - have used/compared it to a Light My Fire rod?

SimonL

Oct 13, 2010
Farnborough, Hants
For what it's worth, I have a few Primus sets, Light My Fire ones and just the rods from Woodlore...
I get mixed results with the Primus ones (so maybe a batch issue as Riven suggests), the Light My Fire ones (both 'Scout' and 'Army' sizes) give me consistently good results, as do the Woodlore rods (made a striker from a carbide scraper blade from a paint stripper (if I recall correctly))
Cheers
Simon

Reactions: Rabbit leg and Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE