Primus ETA Vs Jetboil?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Been looking around and done a little research. Can't make my mind up, anyone got any experiences they would like to share? It looks to me that the Jetboil (PCS and GCS) is compact but not overly stable, Primus stable yet a little bulky. Your views would be welcome. :D

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Been looking around and done a little research. Can't make my mind up, anyone got any experiences they would like to share? It looks to me that the Jetboil (PCS and GCS) is compact but not overly stable, Primus stable yet a little bulky. Your views would be welcome. :D

Depends which Etapower, the Etapower Express is somewhat similar in size to the jetboil but it sounds to me your looking at the Etapower (EF?) that has the 2lt pot, if so it might be worth going for the multifuel version Etapower MF which has just or is is about to be launched. I've not used any of them but have started to get excited about the MF version myself.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I've not used the Eta but one point about the Jetboil - with the hand strap on the side and the pot cosy stuff surrounding the pot you can easily hold it when it's running. When you're on sloping ground or small ledges or whatever not having to put it down is very very useful.

Optimus SVEA Climber 123R. Nowhere near as fast- 0.5 litre in 4 mins, but cheaper to run and WILL last decades.

It's a different kinda thing, heavier, but yeah it's great. Simple, and one of the few stoves that I'd really rely on

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Cheers fella's, thanks for your input. What i really should have said is that i'm pretty sure that i want a gas stove that i can just 'plug and play'. I don't really want and metth's, petrol, diesel, coleman gas, whatever stove, just something i can roll over in the tent porch and put a brew on without getting out of my slug, but also have the option of doing a little cooking if the need arises.

I came to narrow it down to these two because they seem simple and straight forward, pretty light, piezo ignition, stick it on the gas and go.

I really should have spoken to the 'Stove Sage' (Rik UK) about this, but i thought i'd throw it open to everyone who may have experience!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The Jetboil PCS is a more versatile cooking system, you can cook with the burner unit secured to the pot and the pot held securely in one hand, as stated earlier.

The unit is more topple resistant than you may think (this was my biggest worry), in actual use it has been fine, I didn't buy the stabilizer/pan support set until I got the 1.5 lt Group Pan.

In truth, this is such an individual choice, the deciding factor between any kit may be in actually handling each system and making a more informed decision.

Let us know how you get on.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I can tell you from personal experience of alpine climbing and military ops/exercises that the Jetboil has never let me down. If you are concerned about stability, yes, there is the stabiliser that clips to the gas cartridge base but I would also suggest the hanging kit. It allows the whole unit to hang from a branch, bolt, ceiling, tent pole, whatever, and you don't have to worry about spilling stuff. It may not be as good a design as the Primus or anything else but it does work and it has history on its side: it's been around a few years and any problems have been resolved.

I haven't used the Primus ETA, or the new MSR super-efficient stove, so I can't compare them but all I can say is that the Jetboil has been a lifesaver (in the true sense of the word). It is so simple and gets your water boiling quickly and easily in situations where you do NOT want to be fannying around with fire-sticks, pressure stoves, bow-drills, flint/steel, tinder, wood, etc. I'm all for learning and using new skills but when my life is on the line, I ensure that I have something quick and reliable to hand. You don't get wood/tinder and natural cordage on the upper slopes of 4000m peaks.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
You don't get wood/tinder and natural cordage on the upper slopes of 4000m peaks.

Out of interest how did you find it at that kinda altitude? In the UK this winter I've been impressed at how it's handled being cold, but at 4000m the combination of the cold and reduced atmospheric pressure I thought might've caused problems. Were boil times a lot longer and did it still light reliably?
Cheers, Ioan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its strange that if the Jetboil is so good, they would use them down in the Antarctic, but they still 'fanny around' with pressure stoves because they are reliable, and throw out the heat. I can see the attraction for a climber who only wants to heat up a small pot for noodles or boil in the bag stuff, the JB would be perfect, but for cooking real meals I'll carry on and fanny around with my pressure stoves. My oldest Primus stove is pre 1912 and works 100%, I wonder how many Jetboils will be around and working in 96+ years time?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Its strange that if the Jetboil is so good, they would use them down in the Antarctic, but they still 'fanny around' with pressure stoves because they are reliable, and throw out the heat. I can see the attraction for a climber who only wants to heat up a small pot for noodles or boil in the bag stuff, the JB would be perfect, but for cooking real meals I'll carry on and fanny around with my pressure stoves. My oldest Primus stove is pre 1912 and works 100%, I wonder how many Jetboils will be around and working in 96+ years time?

Well, the biggest problem with gas is cold. Secondly altitude. 4000 meters in summer alps doesn't necesserally have to be so cold. And a pressure stove works fine in climbing expeditions too. Svea climber, ya know :D The antarctic expeditions have different weight requirements than climbers. (for reference, the arctic rangers here use a special optimus nova I think).

Personally I hate the jetboil, I wouldn't take one for free if I was given one by some strange coincidence. It's like cooking in a kettle. No thanks.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The Jetboil was designed to do a specific job: boil water very quickly and simply. That it does extremely well.

There is no pumping, no priming, no fuel to spill, it is a light, self-contained unit. The insulated 'pan' is part of the stove, and can be used like a mug. Yes, it is like cooking in a kettle but that's exactly what it is: a gas-powered kettle. The idea is to create hot water for drinks, boil-in-the-bag meals, or dehydrated meals like soups and noodles. We're not talking gourmet meals here.

At altitude it works fine - the gas cannister must be warm-ish so is usually carried in a pocket close to the body or kept in a sleeping bag over night. At 4000m, no problems and only a bit of stuttering - not sure how it would do in the higher ranges and I expect performance would start to tail off. This is where something like the XGK or equivalent would be a better bet. It still works well at reasonable altitudes because it is so efficient.

I do not have a downer on liquid fuel stoves - indeed, my MSR XGK is a fantastic expedition stove. However, as stated, the Jetboil is a life-saver and I would suggest that it would provide me with a hot drink and meal long before a primus/XGK/trangia/etc. That is why it is a lifesaver.

My stove may well be around in 90 years...but it's a moot point because I won't be.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Jetboil was designed to do a specific job: boil water very quickly and simply. That it does extremely well.

There is no pumping, no priming, no fuel to spill, it is a light, self-contained unit. The insulated 'pan' is part of the stove, and can be used like a mug. Yes, it is like cooking in a kettle but that's exactly what it is: a gas-powered kettle. The idea is to create hot water for drinks, boil-in-the-bag meals, or dehydrated meals like soups and noodles. We're not talking gourmet meals here.

At altitude it works fine - the gas cannister must be warm-ish so is usually carried in a pocket close to the body or kept in a sleeping bag over night. At 4000m, no problems and only a bit of stuttering - not sure how it would do in the higher ranges and I expect performance would start to tail off. This is where something like the XGK or equivalent would be a better bet. It still works well at reasonable altitudes because it is so efficient.

I do not have a downer on liquid fuel stoves - indeed, my MSR XGK is a fantastic expedition stove. However, as stated, the Jetboil is a life-saver and I would suggest that it would provide me with a hot drink and meal long before a primus/XGK/trangia/etc. That is why it is a lifesaver.

My stove may well be around in 90 years...but it's a moot point because I won't be.

We'll have to agree do disagree about the JB. I will agree about the XGK, very well built, and at last, MSR have made a pump that does not fail on a regular basis; its the only MSR I respect for design and build quality; its highly thought of by fellow stovies (unlike the JB)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Cheers fella's, thanks for your input. What i really should have said is that i'm pretty sure that i want a gas stove that i can just 'plug and play'. I don't really want and metth's, petrol, diesel, coleman gas, whatever stove, just something i can roll over in the tent porch and put a brew on without getting out of my slug, but also have the option of doing a little cooking if the need arises.

I came to narrow it down to these two because they seem simple and straight forward, pretty light, piezo ignition, stick it on the gas and go.

I really should have spoken to the 'Stove Sage' (Rik UK) about this, but i thought i'd throw it open to everyone who may have experience!

I for one took it wrongly as the 2 you seem to have picked are fairly different, even from each maker thers are stoves closer the the other that you've picked. eg
Jetboil Personal Cooking System closer to Eta-Express
Whereas the Etapower EF is closer to the Jetboil Group Cooking System or their newer Helios range.

What all these have in common is the fast boil times and fuel efficancy, if those are not your main requirements I think you could do as well for somewhat less money ( especially if you already have some useable pans )

eg MiniStove with any pans you already have or a choice ( including etapower for extra efficancy) of pans would seem to fit your criterea just as well but at less cost.

though that stove combined with the Eta Pot might be good for heating morning tea/coffe and drinking straight from the pot, rather than all that fiddling round with cup/mugs/kuskas.

Which I guess pretty much means I agree with Rik_UK, get you gas stove and the etapower pot/pan that suits what you want to do with it.

Though if you want some independent reviews I've always found this place reasonable for them.
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook Gear/

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good reply Glen, I'm very fond of my stoves and the ETA pots are a must have for me as a collector, but to be honest as I don't do lightweight backpacking anymore I can afford the luxury of some old Optimus 111 pumping out 10,000 BTU's with a Bulldog billy can on top. Even a 2 litre pan I would find small to use to be honest, but thats just my style of cooking. If I'm on my own I'll use a packet of smash, home dried veg and some TVP/oxo cube for a stew, or use a rat pack, but my real love is cooking fresh spuds, veg, meat etc. As I can no longer pound the miles, by biggest joy in camping is knocking out pukka home style grub. Hats off to you guys and gals who go UL and put in the miles, but I'm at a stage in life where I can indulge my hobby of stoves with good cooking and great camping, and yes, I'll use an open fire first where possible.

Starting this bushcraft camping has taken me back to my days in the Boy Scouts some forty years ago, and for our younger members, YES, we did make shelters, build fires, hang billy cans over an open fire, make damper/bannock, cook rabbits etc; this bushcraft stuff ain't new, but some of the equipment has improved;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE