Primitive Dentistry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And yet........I have fillings, so does my husband, but our sons have none.
Not one, and never have needed any in even their first teeth.

I admit the boys didn't get fizzy drinks except maybe at a party, or occasionally when we were out, but neither did HWMBLT and I as children.
He grew up when sugar was rationed so sweeties weren't even commonly available. He said mint imperials in kirk on Sunday, and maybe a wee poke of sweeties when he visited his Grannie, but that was it.
At school we got milk at playtime, milk with lunch, milk with our dinner, milk at supper and porage and milk for breakfast. My Mum had 6pts of milk delivered every day.
So how come our teeth have caries ?

I think it's the brushing.
By the time we were in our teens we brushed regularly, and have no new caries, while our sons grew up with a Mum who nagged them to brush their teeth when they were children.
No one really bothered for little kids when I was a child; now we even have toothbrushes and pastes for babies.

I suspect, despite the naysayers, that fluoride toothpaste isn't such a bad thing either :)

cheers,
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suspect you're right Mary. Bad diets can effect dental health but just eating high sugar foods isn't as damaging as leaving that sugar residue on the teeth to do it's damage. And BTW my dentist has given me a prescription for a HIGH fluoride toothpaste (Prevadent) that's only available with said prescription (I'm diabetic and have more dental and gum problems than non-diabetics)

Interesting to note that bulimics also usually have bad teeth as the acid from their regurgitation eats the tooth enamel.

Last edited:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A woman I know who went to the airline dentist when she was being employed as a flight attendant was told by the surprised dentist that she had no tooth decay and he asked why she had no fillings.

She ate a traditional diet. But after a few years of travel eating airline foods and Wimpy's etc. on layovers, she started to develop caries

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE