Primitive Dentistry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
People will always find a way to eat. They always have. Since the earliest of times many an old person (toothless perhaps) would have a daughter specifically kept unmaried to look after them in their old age. One of her duties would have been to chew their food for them. Much like a mother will pre-chew food for an infant today.

Not something any of the mothers I know do. I have heard that the Eskimo used to though.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nah, just a taste for soup, porage and custard :D

M

I've been toothless for quite a few years, and gums get suprisingly hard over time. I can manage tenderish meats, stews, most vegetables and fruits. Although I have to slice an apple as my gums just skid over the surface if I try to bite into one. I can manage most sweeties OK. If I can't chew, I can sook.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Alot of people I know are missing their front teeth and alot of the side teeth also and have no problem eating most things.

aslong as we have a knife or something to tenderise/dice our foods loosing our teeth nowadays is nothing more than an asthetic thing.

Chewing toffee however is one of thiose foods that you need atleast a few teeth for..not that you won't loose those teeth in the process!

My dad never brushed his teeth and had lots of blackened/hole ridden teeth by his 20's, he's now had denal work to cover it up (and a lesson in dental hygeine) but it goes to show what will happen if you don't use your brush!

and alot of alchoholics I know have many missing teeth from the sugary alchoholic drinks they drink daily, maybe mass produced booze is another reaon modern people would loose their teeth.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well certainly not those with easy access to a supermarket, but in some third world countries it is still normal practice once the child comes off breastmilk.

I suppose. I just usually think of 3rd world countries as having soft fruit or starchy foods such as bananas, yams, or rice that can be mashed at home like baby food. To my knowledge, not even the remote Eskimo villages practice pre-chewing now but I'm sure you're right; there must be somewhere that does.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Having recently broken a tooth, I'm watching this thread with interest (also seeing the dentist next wk) Anyone recall the scene in "castaway" where Tom H uses the well known "iceskate" multitool to remove a troublesome tooth.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Thanks for the links. I was surprised to note that they attribute it to lack of pepackaged baby food or ways to "blend" food. All I've ever seen done here was the mother (or other caregiver) simply mashing potatoes, peas, carrots (or whatever soft veg) with a fork on her own plate to make it palatable for a weaning baby. No real technology required.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
All fair points, and it is probably not such a good idea to pre-chew food for a baby - when there is an alternative. However, the same is not the case when pre-chewing for an elderly adult. Of course, nowadays food can be mashed or even liquidised (as in the case of max-facials in hospitals). The nutrition is all still there, all that is needed is the ability to swallow. No, I was referring to way back in the past, before convenience foods, pre-packaged meals and the ease of modern day preparation. I was talking about a family in a wattle and daub hut, the old toothless man lying on a straw mattress. The first and only meat of the week was perhaps a tough old rabbit that had died of old age in a ditch. When all you have is a few bits of veg from the couple of square feet outside your hut, maybe some meal or barley you can scrounge, some pulses and your normal daily fare is pottage, then a bit of bunny would be welcome.
Keep in mind that old Bill will want his share. So his daughter makes the meal and pre chews the rabbit for him. Makes perfect sense to me. Old Bill ain't going to catch anything nasty from his daughter.
[/going off on a tangent]

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Some of the worst stuff for teeth is things like crisps & bread. They get stuck in your teeth where the enzymes in your saliva turn them to sugar which then leads to decay. Eating sweets & sugary drinks is less of a problem as they aren't on the teeth for so long

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
Agree living longer means we give teeth more time to rot BUT having worked in childrens health services in SE Asia and UK I have seen kids with terrible dental decay & abscess's .

Rural Nepalese kids = rarely have dental decay
Urban Nepali kids = commonly ,,
Inner city UK kids = commonly ,,
Rural UK kids = rarely ,,

Age has less to do with it than dietary behaviour/options ?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can honestly say I don't know anyone who flosses their teeth! haha, I however do..sometimes.

Unfortunately that's my problem (habit) too; I "sometimes" floss. My dentist is none to happy; or I suppose maybe he is, after all I'm supporting him well :)

Agree living longer means we give teeth more time to rot BUT having worked in childrens health services in SE Asia and UK I have seen kids with terrible dental decay & abscess's .

Rural Nepalese kids = rarely have dental decay
Urban Nepali kids = commonly ,,
Inner city UK kids = commonly ,,
Rural UK kids = rarely ,,

Age has less to do with it than dietary behaviour/options ?

Diet and lifestyle. Many aspects of health can be traced back to this.

Here in rural Ireland kids still eat a lot of sugary drinks and foods. They always seem to have a bottle of coke within arms reach. The same can be said for a lot of the adults as well.

If you stay off of the carbonated sugary drinks you will not have as much problems with health -and your teeth.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Diet and lifestyle. Many aspects of health can be traced back to this.

Here in rural Ireland kids still eat a lot of sugary drinks and foods. They always seem to have a bottle of coke within arms reach. The same can be said for a lot of the adults as well.

If you stay off of the carbonated sugary drinks you will not have as much problems with health -and your teeth.

They don't have to be carbonated. Apple juice causes just as much problem as far as the sugar goes. Orange juice is even mere harmful because it's more acidic as well as being just as sugary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE