Primitive bow fishing.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That was pretty amazing!

Going to sound like a really stupid question but why does the arrowhead nock into a seperate removable piece of wood that then sockets into the main shaft? Surely by having it as one piece would mean less risk of it coming adrift and potentially losing it. I've seen the ame on old pictures or whaling the spear sockets into a shaft, just wondered why.

Anyone got a logical answer other than "because"

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Best guess is they tend to use rivercane which floats to the surface when it dislodge from the foreshaft. This is probably to save the arrow and also so you can replace the head easily if damaged. I have found the hardest bit to make of a trad arrow is a straight shaft and fletchings.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
very cool. the fact that he does it all with just a knife and not any other tools is cooler still. when i make a primitive bow (and i will do it) i'd like to make some primitve arrows to go with it. i currently 'make' my own arrows, if you consider ordering all the bits on line then gluing them together making, to save money.
edit- why did he not just drink the coke???

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
edit- why did he not just drink the coke???

Perhaps fish love coke and when it's in the water they come to it in droves? Bit like sharks and blood perhaps? :lmao:

Go for it Aaron, I'd love to see your primitive bow once it's made. All the best with that project mate.

Thanks for the reply Dwardo, thinking about it it would seem logical to have a detachable pointy bit simply because once that breaks on an arrow you have to bin the whole arrow and make a new one, at least that way you only need replace the head and save yourself an age of faffing about with fitting fletchings etc.

Aaron aka "Biker" not the Rushton flavoured one

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, i thought it was because, when it has gone through or into the fish. when it was pulled back, it would toggle and stop the fish comming off the end. same sort of thing used on seals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE