Pressure cooker recipes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So I recently got hold of a pressure cooker for making better stock for my soups.

I hadn't planned to use it for anything else except the soup itself but someone mentioned pulled pork to me - cooked it tonight and oh wow, falling apart pork in one hour!

So, anyone got any special recipes that they have up their sleeve where the pressure cooker particularly excels? :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I do a lot with apple wood in my smoker BBQ = 3 hrs at 275F is probably a good outdoor equivalent.
Like you say, tough stuff and falling-apart-yummy. I'd prefer mine a little drier.
1. Lamb shanks, used to eat them last of a side, if at all. Now #1.
2. "Stewing Chickens" New life for an old bird.
3. Pork side ribs slathered in a good sauce as they go in.
4. Cornish Game Hens. Not certain if you have a different name.

I'll bring the buns, the southern cole slaw and the sauce.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Stew, I'm in the same boat as you and really impressed with mine too. So far my best success is this one.

http://youtu.be/_yvbUDY7fls

ive done it with the chicken and this weekend made it with lamb. Absolutely outstanding! :)

Curry! Yes, that would be great to try!

I'm a big fan of risotto but can't always be bothered to stir, stir, stir - just discovered that I can make it super quick and no stir!!

bearbait

Couple of pork steaks cubed, tatties, carrots, parsnip, sprouts, whatever veggies you want, seasoning, chicken stock cube, and half a pint of so of dry cider instead of the water. 15m at pressure.

Try pressure cooking a small whole chicken with seasonings. Falls off the bone and is as moist as anything.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you cook the tougher or stringier bits of meat and bone in the pressure cooker you can fork off the meat, season it and put it into a ramekin with a little of the jus added. Press firmly and it'll set into potted meat or meat spread, or if it's really coarse into a kind of haslett/meat loaf.

Bacon offcuts can be mixed in with it too, and it'll flavour it all.

Ham ribs, trotters, oxtail, shin, ribs, hough, all end up just falling apart into easily used pieces.

The pressure cooker will reduce much of the meat/bone and gristle down to jelly. It can be thick enough that it's worth setting on it's own and using as stock (the original of those jell pot stock things) and as thickener for stews, soups, curries, etc.

It makes really good vegetarian stock too from veg scraps from celery, celeriac, fennel, stems from herbs like parsley and rosemary; basically all the bits that would otherwise end up in the compost bin.

It's good for peas and beans, just don't overfill because they're inclined to froth and block the valve.

Steamed puddings work well, Christmas puds are cooked in minutes instead of hours, for instance.

Bearbait's right about the chicken, but it works very well on wild duck (which can be rather dry) or even older fowl, pigeons, rabbit, etc., and you can reduce fish scraps pretty much right down to make fish soup or stock too.

It doesn't do everything; it screws up texture on a lot of things if you're not careful, but it's a very useful addition to the kitchen :)

Bon appetite :D
M

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Tons of recipes if you google pressure cooker recipes.

I've had one for years - wouldn't be without it. Have a smaller one which lives in the camper van. Makes such a difference to be able took things quickly which would normally take hours.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It doesn't do everything; it screws up texture on a lot of things if you're not careful, but it's a very useful addition to the kitchen :)

Cooking times under pressure may seem short, but don't be tempted to 'just give it another minute or two for good measure'. If the recipe says 'x minutes at 5lb' that's what it means.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine's an old Prestige one, and it's been rock solid reliable.

I believe the modern ones have a different valve arrangement though; it's supposed to be safer, but I just run my pot under a cold tap while sitting in the sink to chill it down enough to lift the lid off…..be careful if you do this, it can open kind of impressively like that with a gust of very wet steam.

M

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Tons of recipes if you google pressure cooker recipes.

I've had one for years - wouldn't be without it. Have a smaller one which lives in the camper van. Makes such a difference to be able took things quickly which would normally take hours.

I know I can google but I was asking for particular recommendations. :p

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
OK The main one I use is a simple Prestige Hi Dome from Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8610351.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:17471339553|tsid:59157|cid:199888953|lid:92282091513|nw:g|crid:59051073393|rnd:16435030151331988354|dvc:c|adp:1o4|bku:1

I also have a 6L Tefal like the one in previous post - mine was bought in car boot and has been used for mass catering in the field - but I find the 6L too large for everyday at home.

From experience with more fancy types - my mother's has a clock timer steam release valve - this is just something else to go wrong. The design like the one above has been going since at least the 1930's .

Basic way I use mine; Example simple chicken stew with pearl barley.

Fry off onions, meat etc. You can do this in pressure cooker - but at home I tend to use separate pan

Add this into pressure cooker along with rest of veg, stock etc. (hot stock speeds things up- for everyday I use Bullion powder and boiling water.

Put on heat with lid off - this gives chance to give everything good stir and to make sure nothing is stuck to bottom.

It is important you have enough liquid and that nothing is stuck to bottom or it will catch

Add pearl barley, put lid with steamer weight on

Get up to pressure, then reduce heat to just enough to maintain pressure

After 10-15 minutes - take off stove - run under cold tap in sink until pressure released

Check how things are going re both taste and that PB is cooked. You can now either - serve, or return to hob with lid off to adjust seasoning/reduce if liquid too much or if under cooked give quick stir and put lid back on and you will soon be back up to pressure.

Word of warning the hissing when you release the pressure by running under water in the sink can be dramatic - it freaks the cat out every time.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE