Press studs or Velcro? a marmite question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Ok I know its a daft question, and they both work,do you prefer press studs or velcro as closures on jackets ? Im in the like press studs on the main zip flap and pockets I think velcro is better on cuffs allowing you to fine tune the fit. I know velcro can freeze up with snow in certain situations.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Velcro works, but it drives me nuts :sigh: how hard would it be to round the edges ? I cut the corners rounded when I sew it onto something, but commercially done stuff always has scratchy sharp bits :( the bits that close over the hood of my waterproofs at the throat are a literal pain in the neck.

If I can avoid it I do, and use press studs, usually the big heavy ones that need a hammer and some effort to put in properly.

It is good for adjusting cuffs though, but if you've made the garment fit properly it should only need an open or a closed position so a tab and button or a couple of studs should do fine.

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I prefer press studs, buttons & zips on clothing. I've got nothing against velcro on kit or on anything else come to that, damn useful stuff..........just doesn't feel right on clothing & footwear.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Its the noise I hate, fine if its just you, but 10 chaps all with Velcro closings of stuff stopping for a brew makes a hell of a racket! buttons zips and poppers here too!

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
hi folks miles888 i prefer velcro for strenght n security but sound travels a long distance especially at night. quick release buckle or ladderlock strap for most things
poppers are a limited thing i feel? some are really strong tho, zips for clothing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE