Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I’ve put all my coal in the front locker of my boat & padlocked it, along with the gas bottles.
I’ve also put a lock on the diesel filler cap as it won’t be long before people start taking drastic measures.. I can’t blame them if they have a family to keep.
I’ve already spoken to a couple who’s had their coal stolen off the roof & it’s only going to get worse as winter sets in.
Thats terrible, what happened to the "we're all in this together spirit"??? I really Hate thieves. Scum!

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
IF you ever fall into freezing water remember Alice dried off reading a history book. Not everyone can be Monty Python. But Nobody should
Let despair dominate their life.
“ And now for something completely different.”

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’ve put all my coal in the front locker of my boat & padlocked it, along with the gas bottles.
I’ve also put a lock on the diesel filler cap as it won’t be long before people start taking drastic measures.. I can’t blame them if they have a family to keep.
I’ve already spoken to a couple who’s had their coal stolen off the roof & it’s only going to get worse as winter sets in.
That must be really annoying! It’s not like a boat is a particular dry and warm place without heating…

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So having started a slow but steady prepping route, as a family I think we are kind of on the way there.

Building renovation has been the main issue for me, as that cannot get started, I am forced to make do, rather than really go for it....a real pain.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So having started a slow but steady prepping route, as a family I think we are kind of on the way there.

Building renovation has been the main issue for me, as that cannot get started, I am forced to make do, rather than really go for it....a real pain.

Don't underestimate or berate yourself for whatever little steps made now can produce as a buffer ( for whatever reasoning ) - the fact that actions are being taken in the now makes you already far more resilient than most of the population. Thats not criticising the gen-pop , but more that congratulate yourself on becoming aware and take those small steps.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I must admit that since the beginning of covid, I decided that it was time to start stocking up on certain items in case of lockdown, which of course happened, then the happenings in Ukraine gave me more impetus to keep going, and up things just a bit more.
I do normaly prepare for winter anyway from the end of July, but this year I just kept going continually, and didn't stop as I usualy do, during the spring and summer.
We have lost about 50%of our public transport over the last year, so it's not so easy to just pop into the nearest town anymore, so
I've never gone to a shop and not come back with some items ,be it a few cans of soup, veg or soup, despite eating from my garden most of the summer.
I'm glad I did, as the hot weather meant I lost most of the "winter" crops, such as cauliflowers and other greens. Leeks, beets, and parsnips seem to have survived though not so lush as other years.
One never knows what will come next. We have become so reliant on "the system" which when it breaks down causes all sorts of problems.
Anything you can do to give yourself an alternative or backup is a good move.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thieves are lazy scum! thinking they have a right to just take what they want from others who have had foresight and worked to provide for themselves.
Security is something to think about.
I have just got a couple of cheap solar security lights for the front and back of my house, as I can see these horrible people taking advantage of any blackouts to ply their abhorrent trade.
There is a padlock you can get which when tampered with emits an alarm. Worth thinking about for sheds and gates etc. I have them on my bike, and back gate.
Rolson padlock, £12.50 from halfords. Cheap, loud and effective!

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not really just showing that alarm in the lock is a bad idea. A better one is is a switch or magnetic switch inside the door. Simple, cheap and just works, does not show outside in any way.

My bike doesn't have a door!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought you could get alarms that contacted your phone if they were interfered with in any way ?
I know a neighbour has something like that on his car because it's often windy here and the blasted car alarm was too sensitive, and would go off in the middle of the night, much to everyone's annoyance.
Might that not be a good idea for your bike ?

Isn't it a shame that folks have to think of things like this ? :sigh:

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

dorsetrover

Jun 27, 2011
dorset
Skills much more important than stuff. But you need stuff to practice with. Slingshots are neat and the ammo is infinite. A woodburning stove in the house and a home-made rocket stove outdoors are invaluable. Learn all you can about foraging and wild foods. Depending on the severity of the, um, downturn, existing food stocks won't last long. But there is ALWAYS wild food to eat, every month of the year. Burdock root is great just now. And above all, remember that they laughed at Noah as well - the Patron St. of Preppers!

Reactions: Woody girl

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
My bike doesn't have a door!
About thirty years ago I worked for a company that made an alarm based on acceleration sensor, it triggered if it was moved or its angle to Earths gravity field changed. After some development it worked almost faultlessly, actually way better than any car alarms at the day.

It did not become a success, slightly too expensive and people did not think one necessary. We sold some hundreds for peoples bikes both motor and motorles variety.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, I hadn't got round to putting the alarm lock on the gate. It's pretty secure anyway, but guess what? My gas bottle gotten out of store behind the garden bits, ready to go and get it filled tomorrow, has dissapeared from my back garden. They climbed the 6 foot fence last night.
So today, prickle strips went up . I'm going to get metal ones to replace the plastic ones I've put up as I want to be totaly secure.
Even here in the boonies, theft has started.
Realy annoyed with myself, as I meant to do it this weekend, but allowed myself to get roped in to making a 78 Yr old friend's house more secure first, as I felt she was more vunerable.
Flipping annoyed as I can't afford to replace the big gas bottle for my cabinet heater, which has just gone off to be serviced, now I have no gas bottle for it.
Damnation!!!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's awful :sigh: and I'm sorry to hear of it.

I hope you reported it to the police; even if they can't retrieve it for you, it helps them see where there are problems and they can hopefully help stop further issues. In the past, thankfully it's rare here, after thefts they do public notifications/ advice, knock the doors and warn folks, suggest anti-theft measures, etc.,
Might be worth while contacting the folks you usually use to refill and asking them to be aware of the problems too.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors
Aug 25, 2022
England
@Woody girl
(prickle strips) use wood with nails banged thought or can use Plaster angle bead screw bottom half to fence bend top side up.
Use tin snips or garden snip will work, make sharp points.

Toddy I hope you reported it to the police
:laugh: Tell them it's a hate crime they come quicker

To add Woody Girl I did see some empty gas bottle on freecycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE