Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I do love a good coldframe. I've long said that if I had my way then all the veg beds would be raised at least 2ft to save bending. Combine that with some glass cover and I suppose you've got a Victorian melon house.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do love a good coldframe. I've long said that if I had my way then all the veg beds would be raised at least 2ft to save bending. Combine that with some glass cover and I suppose you've got a Victorian melon house.
If you pack that 2' to 18" with straw and manure then add 6" of compost you get a self heating hot frame and can grow salad in Winter

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
With the news covering various food shortages and countries not exporting surplus staple grains and the such like are people here now thinking slightly differently or are those taking it a slightly more serious seen as over reacting?

What are people doing?

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
One thing that seems to come up and need untangling in prepper forums is the difference between not having anything to eat and not having what you want to eat. Personally I'm happy to put in a few extra rows of potatoes to mitigate grain shortages and, for example, instead of sausage sandwiches I'll have bangers and mash. I.e. I'll have something to eat. Other people will be hoarding flour so they can bake bread, i.e. what they want to eat.

I grew so many parsnips last year that I was sick to death of them but I'll do the same this year because it'll mean I have something to eat. Even if I wish half those parsnips were garlic which, year after year, I cannot successfully grow at home. Ho hum.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
One thing that seems to come up and need untangling in prepper forums is the difference between not having anything to eat and not having what you want to eat. Personally I'm happy to put in a few extra rows of potatoes to mitigate grain shortages and, for example, instead of sausage sandwiches I'll have bangers and mash. I.e. I'll have something to eat. Other people will be hoarding flour so they can bake bread, i.e. what they want to eat.

I grew so many parsnips last year that I was sick to death of them but I'll do the same this year because it'll mean I have something to eat. Even if I wish half those parsnips were garlic which, year after year, I cannot successfully grow at home. Ho hum.
You need to find someone locally to swap with! :) I'm sure there's someone who'd love parsnips in return for green beans or whatever they're sick of.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I must admit I didn't mean what I envisage as people whom are already on the prepping bus increasing their efforts.

I just wondered if somewhat 'Normal folks' have not ( after experiencing the C0-2-the-Vid and recently conflict , and what appears to be somewhat some global destabilisation and concerns over currency ,) changed their view to somewhat basic changes to life and have some ( justifiable ) concerns.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I must admit I didn't mean what I envisage as people whom are already on the prepping bus increasing their efforts.

I just wondered if somewhat 'Normal folks' have not ( after experiencing the C0-2-the-Vid and recently conflict , and what appears to be somewhat some global destabilisation and concerns over currency ,) changed their view to somewhat basic changes to life and have some ( justifiable ) concerns.
As a non-prepper, mainly just keeping an eye on things in the shops. I'd say we've probably tried to broaden our horizons in terms of the food we eat... surely that is the best way to avoid going hungry and it costs nothing and it's fun too. I know a few folks that only eat cheese, chicken, pasta and bread. Lord knows how they will survive... come to think of it how they HAVE survived. Found some good wild edibles this year that could bulk out some meals well, mainly young shoots.

Reactions: TeeDee

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

Extra staples in the cupboard (tinned stuff, pulses and lentils) and there always seems to be plenty of potatoes and vegetables in the shops.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I buy whatever is on special offer once a week(ie, 4 cans for the price of 3) and a lot of yellow sticker items .
I have put up some shelves in the spare bedroom, and sharpied the use by date on each packet or tin. They are stored in expiry order, and used like my own personal store. I keep an eye on what I use and replace when I go to the store.
I'm growing a lot more winter veg this year aswell as salads. I have a good sized container garden now, aswell as my raised beds. Am now in the process of clearing the last messy corner of the garden to make an area to plant elderberry, and damson trees and other fruit bushes to make a minni orchard . I may have to sacrifice a beloved rose, I hope not. Its very overgrown so in the autumn I will trim it right back and see if I can work round it, and plant my two container, home grown trees and a currant and gooseberry bush understory, with wild strawberry under the gooseberries, a la permaculture forest garden .
Instead of straight edges, I'm making them wavy to increase the edge space, and get more strawbs planted.
I'm also learning to water bath can , and ferment veg, made sourkrout and fermented beets last week, and have pickled Peter pipers peppers, onions and carrots in vinegar today.
Foraging has been part of my diet for many years, so wild blueberry pie or jam is a yearly festival of blue fingers tongue, and lips! Lucky to have masses of them here. Can't wait!
Oh, and I found some wild raspberries last year, so I'm keeping the location quiet and will be taking just one root for my forest garden.
I'm not going to starve!
I have found that a lot of people I know think they won't need to put anything in store as "the panic is over now, and it's all back to normal"
I'm sure they will be learning a tough lesson this winter.
I'm lucky as I don't eat wheat so a wheat shortage has no effect on me. I get along just fine without, though I do miss good bread I'll admit.
I have managed to get ahead with my meds, so now have three months worth in store of all bar one prescription.
I have also been training my body to eat a good breakfast, (porridge)and one main meal a day. It's now second nature to miss lunch. And my body is happy with the amount I eat now. I'm leaner, and feel better for it.
I feel almost ready to weather the storm. Just need to concentrate on wood for the fire from now on. I don't have anywhere enough heating fuel.
I will be on electricity rationing, and am doing so even now. I'm charging my phone and torch via solar, its slower by far, but costs nothing.
I'm learning to be patient!!

Reactions: swyn

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Sauerkraut is super easy and super good for your gut, it doesn't taste too bad either. I have a K&K fermenting pot at 7l and as long as you top up the saline water as it dissipates the stuff stays fresh in there for weeks even before forking out for kilner jars. Cabbages are easy to grow.
Bay leaves are a good deterrent to weevils if you do keep flour. I bought a grain grinder about seven years ago, grain is easier to keep a long time.
I wonder how many people haven't thought about putting a few extra packets in their kitchen cupboards after the last couple of years? Last October a dog food shortage was reported in the MSM so I stocked up, no shortage appeared and our lovely pooch died the next month. So I have a few bags of that to munch on :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not gainsaying the whole 'squirrelling' thing, I do keep a really well stocked pantry myself, but....
when my Granny died, and her daughters were clearing out the presses (cupboards built into the walls of the house) they came across not only an enormous number of jars of jam, jelly, preseved fruits, etc., but six huge sweetie jars packed tight with sugar. They each held 7lbs of sugar, that's over 3kgs each.
Having lived through two world wars, Granny was apparently never going to endure rationing like that again......now bearing in mind that this was in the early seventies, so Granny had had her sugar stash since the end of rationing....so twenty years or so ?
It took us, a family of five, not a single bought in cake or biscuit ever in the house, at least a year to use up the sugar.

I wonder just how much of our present 'just in case' will end up being redd out when we shuffle of this mortal coil too ?

Toddy; who still has a box of 1970's 'power cut' candles :rolleyes2:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Having lived through two world wars, Granny was apparently never going to endure rationing like that again......now bearing in mind that this was in the early seventies, so Granny had had her sugar stash since the end of rationing....so twenty years or so ?
It took us, a family of five, not a single bought in cake or biscuit ever in the house, at least a year to use up the sugar.

I wonder just how much of our present 'just in case' will end up being redd out when we shuffle of this mortal coil too ?

Toddy; who still has a box of 1970's 'power cut' candles :rolleyes2:

Yes, this is kind of what I mean. I'm sure Granny never considered herself a 'prepper' but a sensible woman whom had experienced some severe hardships.

One of the things I truly do lament the inclusion of in modern houses is the old school larder/pantry which allowed a certain amount of natural squirrelling of provisions to be conducted without raising an eyebrow as everyone had one and also did the same.

Why did we do it ? I suspect because the current logistical JITOS chain we all now come to rely upon ( and then freak out once it goes a little bit wobbly ) wasn't as entrenched within our culture.
Seasonal provision and eating was the norm and preserving and storing any glut or abundance was also a kitchen chore to allow culinary goodies be used later on in the year.

The modern logistical chain is technological marvel in many ways- I can order something from Amazon ( politics aside ) and have it delivered the next day....

I just wonder how many of the BCUK audience whom would never consider laying up a small provision of goods in a reserve sense are now ( after the last few years ) rethinking their stance.

The more extended and complex a logistical supply chain is , and the more entrenched and reliant we becoming accustomed to it - when it does go awry or is removed - the greater the general impact is felt in multitudes.

Reactions: bobnewboy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
When my Nan died I found a two litre jug full of ends of soap in the cupboard.

That kept me in soap over a year.

Reactions: swyn

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Our local shop (Co op) has been rearranging the shelves of late. There seems to be more fizzy drinks, sweets crisps and biscuits than anything else.
Tinned meat consists of spam, corned beef and if we are lucky fray bentos pies. Used to be able to get tinned hot dogs, mince beef, steak, ham and chicken in white sauce. Havnt seen any of that since last summer. The whole shop is pretty bare when you realy look.
Tinned fruit is fruit salad and peaches , Tinned veg, peas and potatoes carrots and occasionally sweetcorn all at between 80p and pound a tin . Tinned tomatoes seem to be in abundance at £1.00 a tin along with baked beans at £1.20.
They know that people don't go to the big supermarkets 15/20 miles away anymore, so have realy hiked the prices for the people like myself who totaly rely on the shop.
I'm lucky to have a friend who will order anything I need online with her shop, bit she uses waitrose, so not much cheaper.
If I was to buy it, my gluten free bread is on offer this week at £3.80 for a small loaf. A packet of gf biscuits (two options, choc chip cookies, or oreos 12 per pack) £1.80
A pack of 6 wraps is £2.80, and pasta £1.50 a pack.
I can get this sort of stuff much cheaper in the big supermarkets, the markup, is ridiculous.
The manager says its because we are so out of the way, and they just can't get the products.
I have to call cow poo on that, as we are on the route between two much larger co ops who manage to stock a better variety of items at lower cost.

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmmm ... apparently it is too long since the last major cat-as-trophe. There is no such thing as collective memory in present day modern society. It is very difficult to prep for a TEOTWAWKI, a few things will certainly help but I think it is basically an unsolvable problem. Th one thing I see one could do is just collect a lot of various things that would then hopefully enable a MacGyver type of solution.

Reactions: Toddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE