Prawnster is one very happy chappy

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Because I just booked our family holiday next summer.

In a stunning break from our traditional med package holiday, and thanks to the Missus saying 'Ok then' we are going to a lakeside cabin in Sweden!

Varmland to be more precise, smack bang in the middle of a fishing preserve where there's a good chance we'll see Moose, Otter, Beaver and who knows what else lurks in them woods.

Very, very excited.:red: I've told everyone else so I thought I'd tell you lot too :D

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey well done sir , in the climate we are all in at the moment , its brill that you have a natural high going on, bet tonight does not seem so dark and cold , always great when someone shares their good news , looking forward to the pics etc already !! good on ya , now publish the manual on how to convince the family to go along with your cunning plan !!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Good work Shawn, I wish I could convince Mrs Cumbrian to go on something like that. In her defence though, she knows that she's only got a few years of beach holidays left before our sons ( who I'm in the process of thoroughly indoctrinating into an outdoor lifestyle ) begin to want to go on more adventurous holidays.

Cheers, Michael

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
I did the same trip last year with my family in october

We flew in to Oslo (Norwegian Air, bargain), we hired a car and drove straight across in to Sweden to Värmland.

Värmland is often described as the province of nature and culture. It is also a province of wilderness with unspoiled forests, distant blue mountains and shimmering wild waters for fishing and canoeing.

We booked up a log cabin as a base that was 75m from the lake, we had our own little boat for fishing exploring the lake. To get the best out of this I would suggest going a bit earlier than us for the fishing, we went at the end of October and the lakes were freezing already and all the fish gone deep.

There are three traditional log cabins spaced about 30m apart, each sleeping up to 6 persons in two 2-person rooms and one 2-person sleeping loft (very popular with children!), meaning this experience is also an excellent choice for 2-3 families or groups or larger friends travelling together.

We used the cabin as a base and I would say at least 50% of the roads around us were just gravel and sometimes when we went out exploring in the car we were lucky to see any other cars all day.

From our door we had walks right up to high ground where you could get a good view of all around us.

Whenever we walked to the lakes there were areas set out to have a fire, some of these even had tinder and firewood. This is a great example of how the Swedish appreciate the outdoors and leave the place for the next visiter.

A typical day for us would be to pack some food and soup etc, either walk out or take the boat, find a new area to explore. My boy ( was in charge of fire lighting. This time of the year there is not too much to forage, the best we could knock up was pine needle tea. We spent a lot of the time trying to find evidence of the animals that inhabit the area, moose, wolves, bear, deer, fox, pine martin and Beaver.

My next visit to the area would be summer where when could fish more and swim in the lakes. I would still use the cabin as a base but walk out further with a kit to stay out for a day or two.

The forest were very dense with a carpet of moss everywhere and made up mostly of pine and birch, no probs getting a fire going.

I did not want to make this post pic heavy but here is a link if you want to see some pics to get a flavor, oh and I can't work out how to get an album on here

http://gallery.me.com/vinnyp68#100234

Enjoy, Vinny

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thanks fellas I am rather pleased with myself tonight. :cool:

Rich we're going in mid August so fingers crossed they'll be on the wane by then. I'll get a head net for the wife as she attracts the blighters.

Vinny I know which cabins you stayed at, we looked at them. We are staying in one a couple of klicks away, owned by the same people I believe. Thanks for sharing your pictures, they've given us a real glimpse into what an experience we're in for. I love the picture of your lad with the catty, super shot.

Did you find any animal sign?

We've got the same plan for flights, flying into Oslo and driving across. Did you find any nice towns to get a sample of the culture nearby? My wife has insisted we visit some civilisation at least once.
:rolleyes:

Cheers
Sean

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
Hi Sean,

yes we saw lots of animal sign,

The owner of the place told us there was moose, bear, wolves, and beaver in the area. We saw lots of droppings within a few hundred yards of the cabin although we only saw moose and beaver while we were there.

I have to be honest there is not much civilisation nearby, Arvika was the nearest big town which was a real let down.

If you are flying to oslo buy you weeks shopping in sweden it is much cheaper.We went to Charlottenbergs Shoppingcenter, http://www.charlottenbergshopping.se/?aid=9081729. It is on the left hand side of the road about 6km after you cross the border.

If you like a drink get some spirits at the airport and if you want beer and wine get it in the shopping centre. Be warned it is weak and expensive, beer typically 3%. We tried to buy a couple of packs in Arivka and it was a night mare, you could only buy 2 packs IE 8 beers per household we had to say we were staying in 2 houses to get 16 3% beers.

Saying all that we enjoyed it so much did not really want to drink, just enjoyed the environment.

We had a little boat to use but it was frozen into the lake near us and in the end we hacked it out and went out on the big lakes one day, we were too late in the season for fishing.

If I went back again when you are going I would take some lightweight sleeping kit as I would drive out and stay in the Dannos by the lake, you can stay in any of these.

I thought my missus would not cope without a few shopping trips but she says it was one of the best holidays we have had and wants to go back, you won't miss civilisation, we didn't.

VInce

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Vince thanks very much for all your help. Sounds like I'll have to plan ahead and get some grog at the airport. That shopping centre itself should be alright for the wife and the kids can get a happy meal too :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thanks Robin some good suggestions there.

We might have some time in Oslo on our last day and I think the kids (read me) would love to see a real viking ship.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Well its finally come around, we are packed and ready for our flight in the morning. The weather forecast is good and everyone is very excited.

Wish me luck!!

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Well we're back and what a trip it was. I'm still on a high from it, can't believe how good it was.
We've tagged on a few days in North Wales so I'll put some (lots of) pics when we're back.
Sorry Rich I didn't see one kuksa anywhere and I asked around. Bagged myself a nice knife and a reindeer skin though :)

Pics from a fabulous country to follow.

Sent from my phone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE