Powerpoint fire starting

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all,
I have have to give two lessons on my next TA camp. I have thought about giving one on fire starting and the other on putting a tarp/poncho up using paracord instead of bundgys.

Dose anyone have a link to a powerpoint presention on any of the above that i can use please :)

Thanks
sandbag

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I know its not in PP format, but it might be worth approaching British Red to enquire about using his "Science of Fire" article, its is well written with photos to enhance the text.

If you are on a camp, would a practical session not be more effective than sitting in a classroom?

ATB

Ogri the trog

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Yes a practical session is planned ..Starting a fire with cotton wool and a striker ( ferro-rod ). But the lesson is in camp enviroment so and i only have 30 min's to give it and i know some senior rank will throw a track if i go around starting fires.

thanks for the link to British Red

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Sandbag 47
Have you tried getting in touch with the Defence SERE Training Organisation (DSTO) for any info, lesson plans etc. Look them up on the military intranet. Very helpfull and knowledgeable fellas who do that type of thing full time.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
What about Knot tying? It's not something that is usually taught by the British Forces unless it is specific knots for specific jobs (truckers hitch for drivers for instance). It's something that a lot of people have just never learned but they can be so useful in everyday life. Instead of powerpoint, which induces a feeling of dread in every single person in the forces, it's truly practical as it can't be done without interaction and doing it yourself. Just give them all a couple of metres of cordage and teach some knots like a prussic hitch and variations of it, and perhaps something like a bowline and stop knot.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have known memory sticks and dongles get rather warm and there was that problem with Apple and the overheating batteries wasn't there.

Wait a minute, that's not what you meant was it :)

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
interesting worth thinking about ..i've got just over a month to grt it sorted..but thanks anyway

What about Knot tying? It's not something that is usually taught by the British Forces unless it is specific knots for specific jobs (truckers hitch for drivers for instance). It's something that a lot of people have just never learned but they can be so useful in everyday life. Instead of powerpoint, which induces a feeling of dread in every single person in the forces, it's truly practical as it can't be done without interaction and doing it yourself. Just give them all a couple of metres of cordage and teach some knots like a prussic hitch and variations of it, and perhaps something like a bowline and stop knot.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
We did a fire making presentation to the boy scouts a couple of years ago and it took about the time you have allotted. We demonstrated making a fire using ferro rod, flint & steel, steel wool & battery, magnifying glass, Samoan fire plow, and bow drill. We also showed how to make char cloth and a proper tinder bundle. Then the scouts all got to try. We did this at camp as well. We had a fair amount of scouts so we may have gone about 45 minutes. I don't remember it taking very long at all.

The key is to have enough material that the scouts can all try at the same time without having to wait a turn. And sure they have enough room so as to not drop a flaming tinder bundle on a buddy's head. And having enough folks that actually know how to do it to give constructive advice helps speed things up.

Oh and the scouts didn't make lots of fires. Getting the tinder bundle aflame was success for this exercise.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I find it hard to believe that anyone would have any interest in a demo on setting up bashas' at all (after recruit stage).
Surely they will ALL know how to do that already.

Fire starting is a better option though. When I used to give this talk to army/TA and cadets, I would always show them how to start a fire with 7.62/5.56 rounds or with miniflares. I reasoned that the average soldier will have a lighter or matches on them most of the time, and failing this may well have pyro or rounds on them. The chances of cotton wool are more remote, and most (front liners especially) will own or know how to use a ferro rod.

What reg or corps are your target audience.
Feel free to PM, or ask in here for any tips on using rounds in presentations

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I sort of agree but most of us squaddies but up bashers using bungies and have not been shown how to do it using slip knots. Anyway most of the guys watching are lance jacks and full screws and are doing different subjects from sandwich making to tying up your boots.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi sandbag.

I remember doing lectures on tying up boots lol.

There are lots of combinations, and when the better high legs came in with their new ways of being tied (assault and pro boots, as opposed to Britton boots), it made it all the more fun!

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all just got back from camp passed the 'DIT's' coures used the fire making for the theory I had to cut out so much stuff as it was only gave a 20 minute lesson. Did another lesson that was 30 min's long on how to make a paper airplane because some of the guys could not get thier heads around slip notes, that was fun doing the the planes. Thanks to all those who helped and thanks to British red for letting me use his 'stuff'

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE