Pouches galore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
I'm toying with the idea of a basic EDC survival kit covering urban+out and about. I feel strongly that I should at least have more than a knife on me. Other stuff might include a small med kit/flashlight/cash CC/cordage for instance, just to name some.
Would be interested in your ideas about what you think important enough to have on you (all the time) and more specifically what you carry it in and what you found most comfortable.
I've seen everything from bumbags to fanny packs to ludicrously large side mounted packs strapped to the leg etc but I'm looking for something low cost and low key with wide belt loop. I like maxpedition stuff but seems pricey.

Cheers

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
When hiking I have on my belt a knife, a steel water bottle & a pouch (Maxpedition GP 7x5 vertical) http://www.heinnie.com/Maxpedition-Pouches-&-Pockets/7x5x2-Vertical-GP/p-0-582-4031/ In the pouch I have a firesteel, lighter, wallet, phone, keys, water purification tablets & space for anything else e.g. beef jerky, a hip flask and some dog poo bags.
When I used to do epic mountaineering hikes it was important to always have the essentials on your belt, uncase you had to ditch your pack (e.g. if a river crossing went wrong - happened to me once). Now, hiking in the New Forest that's not really an issue :D, but I stick to the same set up anyway.
When out and about, in addition to my wallet etc. I keep a pocket knife and a lighter on me. I don't feel the need to carry anything else, as if anything went wrong, I'd be heading for home where all my kit is anyway. When we go away, I always pack my knife, bottle & pouch, much to my wife's amusement!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
How many people carry survival kits around with them for years and never even open them, let alone use anything in them?

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
How many people carry survival kits around with them for years and never even open them, let alone use anything in them?

Guess you could ask this one too. How often am I going to need a basic med kit? Hopefully out there I'm not going to cut myself badly or witness another having done so. But how stupid would I feel having been enlightened but not having done anything about it?
The idea is not to carry everything including the kitchen sink. Just the bottom line.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Thanks for the useful link Will. Price not too bad. Like your solid reasoning too. How do you attach this thing to your belt? Cheers.
At the moment, I've just repeatedly looped a couple of utility straps through the molle then fastened it. It's not ideal.
I've also tried cutting a couple of strips of black PVC gutter pipe, heated them and folded them in half. Then I threaded one half through the molle and kept the other half on the outside for the belt to slide through. Drilled a hole through the bottom of the strips and tied it up with parachord. That worked quite well, but I folded the strips too closely together for my chunky belt. I've been meaning to redo it.

I've just reread that, and it makes no sense. Hope you can figure out what I mean, or come up with something similar!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland

Probably a lot, but if you're in a situation where you need it, it's likely you'll need it quite badly!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
It’s a bit pricey but my EDC kit is based on the Medical Adventure pocket survival pak plus (http://www.leisurepro.com/p-adkpspp...pocket-survival-pak-plus#SpecificationInfoTab - look under features for list of contents). The knife is well designed but left out for when I’m not in the hills (although small it is a fixed blade).

I’ve replaced the compass with a small brass type, added wet fire tinder and some mini glow sticks. I’m looking to replace the eGear Pico torch (white LED) with the equivalent night vision type (red LED) but they don’t seem to be available on this side of the pond yet.

Either carried in my jacket pocket or custom made tobacco tin pouch on my belt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE