Pots and pans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Evening chaps,

I quite fancy sorting out my cookware collection. 9 times out of 10 I'll just take my army trangia set and cook up a boil in the bag or a fairly simple meal in that. I love my trangia - it's been a solid reliable workhorse and has served me very well. But I find myself wanting a bit more versatility, particularly if I have to cook for two.

I've got a medium sized zebra pot which is pretty great too. But again that's a tad on the small side.

I wondered about the large zebra pot but that might be a bit too tall. Are there any similar sized pots out there that are more like pots than cauldrons?

In my youth I had a pot that had a copper bottom and a lid that converted into a frying pan. I see a few of this style kicking around but no brands I'd recognise.
I don't fancy heading down the light weight route - stainless steel is fine.

Andy

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I like the Swedish cook set as well and used it as my go-to pot for ages. These days I tend to reach for my Tatonka 1.6 L kettle, which I reckon might be what you're looking for (they do other sizes so take your pick). They've been discussed on here before but a few of the reasons I think they are a great camping pot:

Steel, so easy to clean
Robust - thinner than a Zebra, but plenty strong enough
Wide bottom, ie not tall & thin like a Zebra, so less burning on the bottom, better heat spread
Good bail which locks in place & doesn't get in the way as much as a Zebra
Useful lid which doubles as a frying pan
Sits nicely on most stoves, & equally happy over / next to a fire

I'm sure there are some other good reasons, and hopefully someone will be along to add them!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not copper bottomed but I just found this:

Description

• 1Qt: 4.6" x 5.75" Diam. Wt: 13.4 oz.
  • 3 Qt: 5.37" x 8.25" Diam. Wt: 22.4 oz.
  • 4 Qt: 5.5" x 9" Diam. Wt: 25.6 oz.

LM-327416
Olicamp Ss Kettle 1 Qt
Our Price: $20.95

LM-327420
Olicamp Ss Kettle 3 Qt
Our Price: $29.95

[h=3]OLICAMP STAINLESS STEEL KETTLE - NWBackpack.com[/h]
green.gif

www.nwbackpack.com/.../olicamp_stainless_steel_kettles.phpCached

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers gents that's the kind of thing I'm after. The tatonka looks good, I think that is what I'll go for.

All the best
Andy

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Mac I have the Tatonka pot kettle which is awesome, i combined that with a myti mug from alpkit and will be getting the myti pot to go with it.

the kettle is great you can cook and boil water in it very well and the mug is my first bit of titanium kit which is also awesome and very glad i got it....:):):):):)

regards.

chris.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the 12cm zebra and the zebra lunch box which I prefer and it is mmore stable and has a long handle

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
In my youth I had a pot that had a copper bottom and a lid that converted into a frying pan. I see a few of this style kicking around but no brands I'd recognise. I don't fancy heading down the light weight route - stainless steel is fine. Andy[/QUOTE said:
Still have one left of those copper bottom pans, Wish I could remember the make (its old and a bit battered) but still used.

Tatonka would be a great alternative

Last edited:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
The copper bottom pan could have been a Coleman peak 1, I've had every pot known to mankind and I still can't decide on the perfect combo, I just recived a modified snowpeak 1400 from Fourdogs in the Usa and it's a cracking bit of kit.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
The copper bottom pan could have been a Coleman peak 1, I've had every pot known to mankind and I still can't decide on the perfect combo, I just recived a modified snowpeak 1400 from Fourdogs in the Usa and it's a cracking bit of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE