Potential West London meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
As the London meet up is a bit of a trek into central, I was wondering if anyone wanted to try a west London meet up for those of us out a bit further.
I'm based near Richmond or kingston which both have opportunities for pubs and outside areas like Richmond Park.

Let me know your thoughts.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I'm in the Walton area, so this would be of interest to me. Dunno if the Royal Parks would be a good place for show and tell (and certainly nothing more than an EDC!), but always nice for a bit of photography (plenty of deer and other flora/fauna).

[Edit] Actually if there arent too many interested, I could possibly host a few BCUKers under my field archery club's Day Visitor scheme, see:

http://www.co60.co.uk/day_visitors.shtml

..in which case knives and a small fire in the firepit would be possible, along with trying Field Archery. No overnighters though. That would cost a fiver for a day at the club per visitor, hosted by me as the "full member and experienced archer"....

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm a bit further out at Camberley but dates dependant I'd be up for joining in if I may....Squidders is near Harrow so might be interested too :)

Will keep an eye on this thread....thanks :)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Incidentally and if anyone is interested, I generally link up with the Sussex gang who have been running monthly overnighters for a while now. Here's the latest meet thread. They have a regular venue in the Ashdown Forest, nearest town Forest Row - an easy 40 miles for me at least.

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I've always fancied having a go at field archery Bob and have looked at co60 a number of times before. I've no gear though which may be a problem! Anyway, a good offer, so thanks!

No problem. I have some gear which I could bring along for you and others to have-a-go, so long as those using it are happy with wood bows and arrows...i make those kind of things. I used to do this a lot as the Membership Secretary....

The only other point is that it would have to be a Saturday or Sunday.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
I love a bit of archery and teach intro sessions with recurve, would love to have a go at using your wooden gear :).

For more hands on bits, fire lighting, even shelter building, I may be able to pull a few strings and get use of some private land where I work near kingston, overnights are doubtful.
I have thoughts about a place for over nights and need to ask around... but it is in Caterham, which isn't West London at all.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Just to say that I'd definitely be up for a spot of field archery with Bob (and now have a bit more time at weekends to play!)

Likewise I'd be up for fire lighting and all the rest, and Caterham is only 20 miles from me!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All, I have given it 24 hrs in case anyone else was interested, and checked with 'er indoors......

So, I will suggest Sunday 25th January as the field archery visitor day at the Company of Sixty in Oxshott, Surrey, with a 10am kick off for those interested. Since the missus and I are both "full members and experienced archers" we could host up to 8 people, 4 each. What I would suggest is that we all have a go at the practice butts to get used to it, and then maybe do a half of a full course when I'm happy that all are safe.

After that we can rest, do some firelighting and other bushcrafty stuff, show and tell, and make a cuppa etc as people like. Bring your own stuff or have a go with my wooden bows/arrows, the only caveat is no crossbows by order of The Crown Estate - the landlords! I will bring tea and water etc, but please bring your own food and suitable footwear/clothing.

The only other official thing is to bring a fiver each, and a filled in form. See the form at:

http://co60.co.uk/downloads/day_visitor_form.pdf

The address of the shooting ground is on the website at:

http://co60.co.uk/location.shtml

I will wait at the entrance gate in my old silver vitara and meet you there.

So, for those who would like to come along, please add your name to the following list:

1. Bob
2. Helene
3. ...

Last edited:

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
That sounds great, it's very generous of you to host, unfortunately I'm in Wales that Sunday, but I hope you guys have a great time, and that I can join in the next one (hopefully there is one).

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
That sounds great, it's very generous of you to host, unfortunately I'm in Wales that Sunday, but I hope you guys have a great time, and that I can join in the next one (hopefully there is one).

No worries Tom, we could do it again in the later spring/summer.

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
I'd be interested in any West London meets......................I'm in Feltham.

I'm not able to do the Archery day, but anything else that can be arranged would be of great interest.

Steve.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Oh no! Sorry Bob, would love to have come and had a play bit I'm already away that weekend at a Tribe meet and as its our 10th anniversary weekend and I'm a founder member I can't really back out.

Definately be up for another one though....I've got three bows I can bring along next time for people to play with.

Thanks Bob :)

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

Just a reminder for those of you who may be interested to come along next Sunday, 25th January, of the combined 'intro to field archery and a bit of bushcraft day'. See post #10 in this thread for details, and if you interested but haven't, please add your name to the list of attendees. It is a fiver each for the day (goes to the club for insurance) and I will bring some equipment for people to have a go with. On the bushcraft side I am hoping to do some firelighting and prepare some char cloth at the very least. Please bring your own food and I will endeavour to being some tea making stuff with me.

If you cant make it this time I will try to run another day later in the year.

Also of course, if the OP - TallTom - wants to organise another West London meet I will glad to come along :)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Hi All,

Just a reminder for those of you who may be interested to come along next Sunday, 25th January, of the combined 'intro to field archery and a bit of bushcraft day'. See post #10 in this thread for details, and if you interested but haven't, please add your name to the list of attendees. It is a fiver each for the day (goes to the club for insurance) and I will bring some equipment for people to have a go with. On the bushcraft side I am hoping to do some firelighting and prepare some char cloth at the very least. Please bring your own food and I will endeavour to being some tea making stuff with me.

If you cant make it this time I will try to run another day later in the year.

Also of course, if the OP - TallTom - wants to organise another West London meet I will glad to come along :)

Hi there Bob

I'm still intending to come along, though it looks at the moment like I'm the only one! Assuming you're still happy to go ahead on that basis, I'll be there at 10 next Sunday, looking out for your Vitara.

(I'll probably come via the A3 so I can orient myself using the Bear - that's the pub rather than the constellation! And I'm also assuming that the 244 is fully open now?)

I've printed out a form and will bring a fiver.

On the bushcraft side of things I can bring a tin suitable for making char cloth and some other bits and pieces.

Many thanks for arranging this,

Dave

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi Dave, sorry about the delay in answering but I missed this post!

Currently it will be yourself, Oggydoggy202 (Mike), Helene and me.

We will meet up at the entrance gate at 10am. If you are passing The Bear on your right, coming from the A3 on the A244, carry on downhill and round to the left with the main road. As the road straightens, and after about 300 yards you will see us on the right inside the gateway to the woods, at the end of the 30 limit.

I'm glad you will be bringing a tin for charcloth as i have failed to find one in my shed :). I will bring water and tea / coffee and a not-very-bushcraft kettle etc. Remember to bring some food as we only have catering during official shoots.

We're looking forward to meeting you and Mike.

Cheers, Bob

I will PM my mobile number to you both in case of emergencies on your part.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

Well the date and time were right, so Helene and I met up with Dark Horse Dave at the Company of Sixty's grounds in Oxshott, for the 'field archery and bit of bushcraft" day. Unfortunately Mike did not make it. It was clear, cold, windless day, and perfect for a spot of woodland walking.

We started the day with a look at a selection of bows and arrows, and then Dave tried one at short range at the practice butts with a little light instruction. Dave, who said he had shot a few times before, was a quick study and so we soon set off to complete a half round of the permanently laid course.

Helene shot round with Dave, and I was there to supervise and encourage. Dave was shooting straight and with a little practice the distance estimation was coming to him. Pretty soon he was into the 'kill' scoring lines and otherwise hitting the targets:

16178204548_4a237caac8_b.jpg

15745851573_36996b3d64_b.jpg

15743367714_a8cc927285_b.jpg

After a good morning going round the woods, we stopped for lunch. Dave impressed us with the efficiency of the Kelly kettle he had brought to boil the water for our cuppas. I really must look into getting one for this kind of day. We spent some quality blokey time too, chatting about shiny and sharp things, while Helene gathered some bags of leafmould for her raised veggie beds at home.

Dave cooking his lunch:
16364930322_a899c936de_b.jpg

Some of my stuff on the table
16178442430_ea808ea2c8_b.jpg

Yours truly scoffing a baked spud.
16365815045_f2ac62ff4b_b.jpg

After lunch and tea, we started doing some more bushcrafty stuff. We began with firelighting - ferro rod and steel, using birch bark as tinder. I choked the fire off at the first attempt - the tinder round about was a bit damp and it was taking too much heat to dry out before the fire died. On the second attempt it went better (more birch bark), and then we built the fire up a bit. Dave also gave me some cotton wool with vaseline to try - half a stroke of the ferro rod and whoomph - I've really got to make myself a pot of that! Once the fire was good and hot, Dave got out a golden syrup tin prepared for making charcloth - so that was next up. The shredded T-shirt was left to cook off for about a half hour, and then we checked it over.....

Making charcloth - the moment of truth - opening the tin
15745838653_e2e4dd3dcf_b.jpg

We have charcloth
16178204898_2553002dc9_b.jpg

Then Dave produced a flint and steel striker, so we tested the charcloth:
16178184118_c785a63f36_b.jpg

15745855813_e7c3489445_b.jpg

Success! So now I have a supply of it in my car emergency tin and my tinderbox. Very handy.

All too soon Dave had to make a move so we cleaned up the fire pit, washed up and said our goodbyes. I think (hope! :) )Dave had a good time, I know that Helene and I did.

I hope to do this over again in the April/May time frame, so if anyone is local-ish to Surrey/Middx etc and fancies a 'go', then keep an eye out and I will setup a post for it nearer the time.

Cheers, Bob

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE