Potential New Bushcraft / Wild Camping destination, feed back please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
I work for a large (3500 acres) country estate in Sussex, the estate has been re wilded by fencing the whole place with deer fencing and removing all the internal fences. In this area we have free ranging herds of cattle, fallow and red deer, Exmoor ponies and a few pigs. The land has been left to be managed solely by these grazers and browsers for over ten years. The result of this has been the creation of an extremely usual environment, in places similar to savannah, with woods, glades and grown out hedges. It is home to a range of wildlife including some rare species like the Nightingale and Purple Emperor Butterfly.

My boss is now creating a education and tourism enterprise to show people the results of the last ten years. I suggested the possibility of guided wild camping and bushcrafting as a part of this enterprise. I have been given the go ahead to do this and my question to the forum is what would you like to see made available and what kind of price range would you deem reasonable?

My thoughts are of small groups of like minded individuals who would like the chance to practice their bushcraft skills and wild camp over the course of a weekend in a beautiful location but I am open to suggestion.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Looks like an incredible venue - price really depends on service being offered and facilities available. Perhaps a fee to book out a designated area for small groups (with no guided content) as well as courses and themed camps (foraging etc.) with experts hired in to teach specifics (green woodworking, basket making, charcoal burning). Perhaps emphasising the "craft" side of things in order to differentiate from other products on the market.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Facilities wise, if you are looking to provide for regular visitors, I'd say have a water tap and somewhere to dispose of toilet waste. It could be added to, to offer fire wood, rubbish collection points etc.

As for pricing - some people will pay for more facilities whereas others will pay for greater solitude.

You might want to offer it to the local Bushy group so they can have their input after seeing it - heck, if its good enough we could hold the Moot there ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Thank you for the replies. The estate is Knepp Castle in west Sussex, I hope its ok to put a link up www.knepp.co.uk if not mods please remove. It gives a much fuller picture of the project to date.

The idea is part of a bigger enterprise including a camping and glamping site so facilities are no problem. There are also a range of courses being set up based more on the ecological and wildlife side of the estate. There could be bushcraft courses put on but my thinking was that there are plenty of people doing that already?

I was aiming my questions more at the specific bushcrafters who may be looking for somewhere to practice or just enjoy? I could easily provide a compost toilet in a more out of the way location though and a jerry can of drinking water. What kind of environment would you all prefer woodland, grassland, mixed etc? The reason for my suggestion of a guide is simply that its a big place with delicate habitats, large bodies of water and free ranging livestock so some kind of supervision, at least initially, seems wise.

Please keep the feedback coming, its all great stuff!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thank you for the replies. The estate is Knepp Castle in west Sussex, I hope its ok to put a link up www.knepp.co.uk if not mods please remove. It gives a much fuller picture of the project to date.

The idea is part of a bigger enterprise including a camping and glamping site so facilities are no problem. There are also a range of courses being set up based more on the ecological and wildlife side of the estate. There could be bushcraft courses put on but my thinking was that there are plenty of people doing that already?

I was aiming my questions more at the specific bushcrafters who may be looking for somewhere to practice or just enjoy? I could easily provide a compost toilet in a more out of the way location though and a jerry can of drinking water. What kind of environment would you all prefer woodland, grassland, mixed etc? The reason for my suggestion of a guide is simply that its a big place with delicate habitats, large bodies of water and free ranging livestock so some kind of supervision, at least initially, seems wise.

Please keep the feedback coming, its all great stuff!
Living on the edge of East Hampshire, I'd be very interested in coming along to the estate, Tyla. Very interested, indeed... It looks incredible. I would love a place to camp regularly and would promote it in anyway I could, even help by volunteering.

Last edited:

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Ok, how about this?

A free overnighter and tour of the estate in exchange for a write up on here and your ideas on how best to progress the project?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Ok, how about this?

A free overnighter and tour of the estate in exchange for a write up on here and your ideas on how best to progress the project?
This could be done, Tyla. Definitely. I'll look into the estate website some more. It's only an hour's drive away from where I live, so that's good. Do you have a date?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It seems to me that for camping people usually want woodland, at least if it is bushcrafters you are after, rather than just 'campers' who normally want a field and to be as close to the facilities as possible (I'm not disparaging - these are two different ways of enjoying the outdoors, that's all). However, you mentioned bodies of water, and that opens up two other possibilities: fishing, and canoeing. If you could offer a site suitable for hammockers, with provision for a fire, with fishing and or canoeing allowed, I think you have a winner right there. Small groups by definition, to minimise the impact on the sensitive environments, and probably some fire-risk precautions (designated fire pits perhaps). People go to Scotland to get fishing and canoeing, and then have to endure the midges.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It seems to me that for camping people usually want woodland, at least if it is bushcrafters you are after, rather than just 'campers' who normally want a field and to be as close to the facilities as possible (I'm not disparaging - these are two different ways of enjoying the outdoors, that's all). However, you mentioned bodies of water, and that opens up two other possibilities: fishing, and canoeing. If you could offer a site suitable for hammockers, with provision for a fire, with fishing and or canoeing allowed, I think you have a winner right there. Small groups by definition, to minimise the impact on the sensitive environments, and probably some fire-risk precautions (designated fire pits perhaps). People go to Scotland to get fishing and canoeing, and then have to endure the midges.

....and if it's an old estate lake with some old wise monsters in it... Even better.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
The site looks lovely, and the re-wilding is a fascinating concept. I hadn't heard of Knepp Castle before, but note that it is very easily accessible for me at least!

To try to answer your question I'd guess that the woodland environment is the one most likely to appeal to the bushcrafters; at least that's where we all seem to prefer to dwell. Other environments are great for a bimble though, and I know would also appeal.

A guide of some sort does seem sensible, at least until you get a sense of how people behave, what effect they have on the wildlife etc. Bushcrafters do like their fires of course, so firewood is also likely to be a factor.

Hope that helps.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Some people would want brambles, nettles, etc for cordage or other plants to forage, green wood for carving, dead wood for burning.

You may wish to create basic rules in order to avoid any scarce resources being plundered?

Or provide areas where some materiel may be harvested, or provide firewood to buy.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
The site looks lovely, and the re-wilding is a fascinating concept. I hadn't heard of Knepp Castle before, but note that it is very easily accessible for me at least!

To try to answer your question I'd guess that the woodland environment is the one most likely to appeal to the bushcrafters; at least that's where we all seem to prefer to dwell. Other environments are great for a bimble though, and I know would also appeal.

A guide of some sort does seem sensible, at least until you get a sense of how people behave, what effect they have on the wildlife etc. Bushcrafters do like their fires of course, so firewood is also likely to be a factor.

Hope that helps.
Yes, the main factor would probably be firewood. I've been looking for a place to make legal camp fires. Most of us, mind you, are very respectful of woodlands and would only take what's necessary. One person, for example, would hardly have an impact on the land, I'm sure you're aware. Leave no trace is a must, of course, and I believe you can count on me and any other semi-locals to hold to that.

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
In this context I am interested in bushcrafters, the camping and glamping site will be a separate entity with additional facilities and a different market.

So the general consensus is woodland to overnight in and to provide crafting materials with a wander through the other habitats? I envisage small groups (4-6?) with a guide (me probably to start with) this reduces the need for too many rules as the group would be supervised. It would also allow the trips to be tailored to suit the group.

Canoeing and fishing are definite possibilities, the biggest lake would allow a days paddle with stops and sea trout have been caught there.

Foraging would also be possible as would some wild game preparation and consumption. It would be no trouble to sort out a few rabbits or some venison for groups if arranged in advance.

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
I'm glad it appeals to you. Keep the ideas coming and I'll get some more pictures to put up tomorrow, thanks again for the input.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
What a great use of the estate. I have fond memories of the area having grown up just down the road, even worked on the estate as a teenager. I'll be watching this with interest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE