Potential blade materials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Hi all,

I have salvaged some metal from a high ropes installation that was dismantled.

The pieces of steel are about 3-5 mm thick. Would the metal likely be useful for making knife blades? Would I have to temper it?

Here's a pic.

ab00180e265159c9278ef9ada08a7e53.jpg

Thanks.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Thank you, I would guess mild steel too from the sparks but it also looked a lot like other patterns... bit tough that spark reading.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi Tom,
As has been pointed out it is more than likely that those are made from mild steel. However if you are new to the knife making game then use this as practice steel.

You will need to grind or file it to shape first but be careful if you should choose to attempt a heat treatment as the steel looks galvanised to me. Heating galvanised steel causes zinc fumes which are deadly poisonous.

Once you feel more comfortable with shaping your blade, buy in a known steel like the 01 linked above. 01 is generally regarded a good place to start as it is a fairly simple high carbon steel that is quite forgiving.

All the best
Andy

Hello mate,

It is 99% mild steel but you can try it - heat it to nonmagnetic (cherry red :) ) and quench - if it is hardened after that you can give it a try and if not just use it for tests as another mate in here suggested ;0

All the best,
Bogdan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE