Pot Noodle In Peril

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...... Tescos point of view is they shouldn't be paying more for things produced in the UK, so have called their bluff......

Just because something is produced in the UK doesn't mean all the required ingredients are (or can be) procured locally. Likewise with the energy for processing it. Mind I don't even know what "pot noodles" are much less how they're made so my comment is just a generalization.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just because something is produced in the UK doesn't mean all the required ingredients are (or can be) procured locally. Likewise with the energy for processing it. Mind I don't even know what "pot noodles" are much less how they're made so my comment is just a generalization.

Think ramen noodles in a pot with chemical flavouring and you'll get a good idea

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

My point was regarding tax and duty on import for completed products rather than the cost of bulk buying cheap ingredients. Plus increased transport costs, even if EU based.

As it's the BBC news story of the day, have a look in and you'll see a coherent argument against bullies like Unilever raising their prices because the pound is weak. Then make comment ;)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sort of. Yeast are in the fungus kingdom, so while they're not animals (meat) technically they really aren't plants (vegetable) either.

I did say vegetarian, not strict vegan :)

Actually many vegans happily eat marmite because it provides a source of the one B vitamin that they cannot easily obtain from anything but yeast.

Marmite is made as a by product from beer brewing. Can't see there every being a shortage of breweries in any of the countries of the UK :D

As a housewife, who shops, I will take it very ill out if a supermarket is trying to push up prices in a sneaky wake from the brexit ship. I don't like the idea of the big food giants pushing it either though.

We'll see what we see, but I remember when life (and food choices) were much simpler. We managed fine, we were healthy and there were a lot less overweight folks about. Food wasn't rationed, just that it was mostly home grown (as in British Isles I mean) and home made.
Seasonality played a much bigger part in our choices. To be honest that was a pleasure. Looking forward to things again, instead of often tasteless, but looks good on a supermarket rack fruit and veg. available all year long. Meat and fish too came in their seasons.
Might not do us any harm to gain some of that seasonality back again :)

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I did say vegetarian, not strict vegan :)....

Yeah, you did. I'm still one of the old fashioned ones for whom "vegan" is a new-ish word. We were originally taught that a vegetarian only ate vegetable (plant) products whereas a those who ate non-meat animal products such as eggs, dairy, honey, etc. were "lacto-vegetarians. It appears the language has changed in the last decade or so.

It appears vegetarian has replaced lacto-vegetarian and vegan has replaced vegetarian.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My point was regarding tax and duty on import for completed products rather than the cost of bulk buying cheap ingredients. Plus increased transport costs, even if EU based.

As it's the BBC news story of the day, have a look in and you'll see a coherent argument against bullies like Unilever raising their prices because the pound is weak. Then make comment ;)

Fair enough. But even without taxes the cost of cheap goods bought abroad would still be more expensive in proportion to the new exchange rate. From what I can find it looks like the exchange rate has gone down by about $0.25 to $0.30 (or from about 16.5% to 25%) Cheap or otherwise, those raw materials now cost from 16.5% to 25% more before any taxes.

When I mentioned energy costs I also wasn't just talking about transportation; it also means more expensive power bills at the facility.

Is there price gouging? I'm sure it's quite possible, but raising prices in and of itself doesn't really make a case for it.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, you did. I'm still one of the old fashioned ones for whom "vegan" is a new-ish word. We were originally taught that a vegetarian only ate vegetable (plant) products whereas a those who ate non-meat animal products such as eggs, dairy, honey, etc. were "lacto-vegetarians. It appears the language has changed in the last decade or so.

It appears vegetarian has replaced lacto-vegetarian and vegan has replaced vegetarian.

I'd never heard of lacto-vegetarians until relatively recently….and I've been vegetarian since my early twenties, and hadn't eaten meat for a long while before that.
Most vegetarian recipe books of the period used free range eggs, though many gave options for dairy. Rose Elliot is a classic example of the genre, and she happily used eggs, honey, dairy, etc., in her books. Good family recipes those too. Still some of our favourites.
Vegans just seemed to miss out the eggs, dairy and sometimes honey. Not all though, because we don't kill the bees to obtain the honey these days, and the hives are fed sugar if necessary.

In the meantime though; looks like Tesco has Marmite, Hellman's, etc., back in stock :)

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Vegans just seemed to miss out the eggs, dairy and sometimes honey. Not all though, because we don't kill the bees to obtain the honey these days, and the hives are fed sugar if necessary.....

I'm a little confused. This makes it seem that at one time you DID kill the bees to get honey? And by extension killing cows for milk and chickens for eggs would have been what made eating those objectionable? Surely that's not what you did?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In the past the old skeps were smoked to kill the bees because there were no dividers between the brood and the honey.
Now there is, and it removed many of the objections that some had.

Free range hens (and mind modern breeds often don't lay fertilised eggs anyway) are more acceptable to many. Especially if the eggs were never going to hatch. I have heard those sterile eggs referred to as a chicken's period though :rolleyes:
Eggs are an issue for many. I avoid them if at all possible. Son2 will happily eat them, especially in home baking !

Dairy is a contentious one because the only way to keep a cow in milk is to keep her in calf year in year out. At least half of those calves are male, and most are slaughtered young. There's no commercial value in overstocking when it's milk the farmer is marketing.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In the past the old skeps were smoked to kill the bees because there were no dividers between the brood and the honey.
Now there is, and it removed many of the objections that some had.

Free range hens (and mind modern breeds often don't lay fertilised eggs anyway) are more acceptable to many. Especially if the eggs were never going to hatch. I have heard those sterile eggs referred to as a chicken's period though :rolleyes:
Eggs are an issue for many. I avoid them if at all possible. Son2 will happily eat them, especially in home baking !

Dairy is a contentious one because the only way to keep a cow in milk is to keep her in calf year in year out. At least half of those calves are male, and most are slaughtered young. There's no commercial value in overstocking when it's milk the farmer is marketing.

M

Thanks Mary. That's more in line with what I had thought. The hen's breed really doesn't have anything to do with the eggs being infertile. That comment about the hens' period is close to true; they'll lay eggs regardless. The difference with the modern hens is less a difference in the hens themselves but more to do with the farming practices (unlike the free range hens, battery hens never encounter a rooster so the eggs will always be sterile) That practice in itself deters some would be egg eaters.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's more along the lines of modern breeds producing lots of eggs all year round. Not just a nestful and then go broody.
We were talking about seasonality elsewhere, and that played a huge part in the diet previously. Cattle went dry, hens stopped laying, bees hibernated (or at least cooried down in the hives for most of the autumn and winter), so their produce wasn't available.
Breeding, and modern farming practices, has brought a huge change to that….even the bees, I know a place where an indoor hive forages on tropical flowers all year round.

Anyway, Marmite….it's not creosote, it's salty treacle stuff :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE