Pot Cozy Material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi,

I'm sure there must be a thread somewhere on here related to pot cozy material but I'm damned if I can find it using the search function, maybe I'm spelling things wrong (cozy, cozee, cozzey, material, materiel etc) so I was wondering if there was a general consensus on the most durable type of stuff to use to make a pot cozy ?

I want to use it to stick my pot in and cover to save a bit of fuel whilst cooking/rehydrating, and also be stable enough for eating out of with a home made placcy bag meal inside (ie not too wibbly wobbly), probably of the usual tube and end cover for base, plus short tube and end cover of slightly bigger diameter for top.

Also wondered whether a couple of layers made a vast increase over one layer ?

I'm sure the thread will turn up ! I just thought I'd check on here before I went out and bought some stuff, I'm assuming the placcy covered stuff is better than aluminium layered stuff due to conductivity. Also do people use cut up bedmats, as I have a couple of them lying about.

Excuse all the questions !

Cheers, Sp

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Best stuff:

http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-loft-insulation-l75m-w600mm/182139_BQ.prd

Only one layer needed, although my early coseys had very long lids which doubled up the walls (but were unnecessary). They also do away with the need to use a storage bag. I experimented with Ali tape for "pureness". Again, unnecessary and not the best result. Stick with gaffer tape, I had some silver coloured stuff but the colour doesn't matter!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi,

I'm sure there must be a thread somewhere on here related to pot cozy material but I'm damned if I can find it using the search function, maybe I'm spelling things wrong (cozy, cozee, cozzey, material, materiel etc) so I was wondering if there was a general consensus on the most durable type of stuff to use to make a pot cozy ?

I want to use it to stick my pot in and cover to save a bit of fuel whilst cooking/rehydrating, and also be stable enough for eating out of with a home made placcy bag meal inside (ie not too wibbly wobbly), probably of the usual tube and end cover for base, plus short tube and end cover of slightly bigger diameter for top.

Also wondered whether a couple of layers made a vast increase over one layer ?

I'm sure the thread will turn up ! I just thought I'd check on here before I went out and bought some stuff, I'm assuming the placcy covered stuff is better than aluminium layered stuff due to conductivity. Also do people use cut up bedmats, as I have a couple of them lying about.

Excuse all the questions !

Cheers, Sp

As you're over the pond:) this maybe of more use to you.

[video=youtube;-FTln2_5Pgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FTln2_5Pgo[/video]

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've made loads of them..... and don't bother anymore. A dustbin liner or plastic bag works just as well but doesn't need making, takes up less space, is lighter and cheaper , I can notice no loss of temperature compared to the reflective cosies in use while hayboxing, especially when I put the wrapped pot in my pack/coat/sleeping bag/hat etc.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
I've made loads of them..... and don't bother anymore. A dustbin liner or plastic bag works just as well but doesn't need making, takes up less space, is lighter and cheaper , I can notice no loss of temperature compared to the reflective cosies in use while hayboxing, especially when I put the wrapped pot in my pack/coat/sleeping bag/hat etc.

Pete, you need to quantify that bud. Wrapped in an item of clothing I can see. But a plastic bag has the same heat retention properties as reflectix? If that were the case surely we would all be sleeping on polycryo and not heat retaining mats.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I read about it on a US backpacking site ages ago mate and poo-pood it at the time. The author had some conviction though about the phyics involved and summised most of the heat was lost due to convection, evaporation and conduction rather than radiation, which when I thougth about it was logical. I like to keep an open mind so gave it a 'whirl'. I took a bin liner instead of my pot cosy on a trip and noticed zero difference(scientifically using my tongue) in the temp of my pasta after 10 mins.

The boon of the bag is it 'scrunches' up, trapping air. It also makes it leak proof to wrap in clothing.

There is a downside;no padding. The cozies make a nice cushioned cover to stop the handle rubbing on kit and the IX is quite tough.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
It really takes very little insulation to keep a pot of water hot for 30-40 minutes. I do use the reflective windscreen type, but I've found that even wrapping in clothes is more than good enough to cook rice or pasta. Water holds a lot of heat, it doesn't surprise me that a plastic bag works.

You mention an old sleeping mat - assuming you mean the closed-cell foam type, that will make a really good pot cozy. It's far more insulative than you need, but I sometimes use it in winter. It means I can cook my meal before I go out in the morning, and it's still hot when I come back some hours later. Bulky though.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
I'll have to do some testing, but I imagine wind chill etc will play a part. Something you don't need to worry about with a cosy and as for size remember that it makes a pot just 4-5mm larger overall.

Very dubious about the plastic bag theory as I have melted a carrier bag by brushing it with the pot just off of the stove whilst putting it into a cosy. I'm one of those that needs to see it to believe it!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The handles on my pots get far too hot, I have to give them a minute to cool enough even to go in the foam cosies, Give it a try mate, I was just as dubious. Be good to hear your opinion.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Closed cell foam (CCF) and gaffa tape will do the job. If that's what you have to hand.

Various "reflectix" type stuff out there.
*/
* Single sided aluminium coated bubble wrap from Wickes / B&Q in big rolls. Or Asda's Stationary section in A4 envelope sizes. ;)

* The reflectix (coated both sides) that BPL and Dutch sells

* "Double bubble" (hardcore stuff, check out skips where they are building houses but at £100+ a roll don't expect much in the skip);)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I sew mine out of thick wool (think heavy army blankets) offcuts. Makes it comfortable to handle a hot pot or mug too :D

M

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I use two layers of neoprene cut from a kiddies redundant surf suit on one of those Highlander stainless, steel third litre flasks which I sometimes fill with soup when I just go out for a quick bimble around the woods.
I've never noticed any heat bleed from the flask when its in my pocket so I am assuming that it is reasonably effective, plus the soup is still fairly hot after 3.5 hours if I pre-heat the flask.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I tried using some foil coated bubble wrap insulation I got from screwfix, but it just didn't work as well as I'd hoped. On paper it's got good insulation properties, so I'm not sure what I did wrong.

J

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Ta for the info :) ! Very helpful from you all.

I had seen the syntax video and several others on youtube, nice to have a bit of info on the side. What I've been using up till now is the hood from my down jacket, which I never use on the jacket, prefering an itchy wooly hat. It's just big enough for the mug, although it does tend to get a bit bedraggled from food and pot black. I suppose the wooly hat would do the trick also. I would be nice to have a permanent cozy though.

I'm going to attempt to make one using the bedmat spares I have, possibly a wraparound style with some type of closure, or maybe just a sleeve plus top and base as envisaged originally.

As you're over the pond:) this maybe of more use to you.

lol ! google the adress, I'm actually in the uk.

Cheers and thanks again,
Sp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE