Pot cosy insulation

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Hey guys
i have searched around but can find anywhere that sells a small enough amount to make just 2 cosys for me to use.
I cant afford to waste money on a whole roll and nowhere sells it in small quantities.

So im wondering if i can use the bubble wrap that i get my parcels and things are delivered in. (the large envelove ones.)
if i cover it in black nasty will it do the same job??

Will only be used to keep re-hydrated meals warm once ive added water so no where near flames or massive high temps.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice offer Paul:)

I have been having thoughts lately as one does.... of wrapping a pot in several layers of cling film and squirting expanding foam on it? would make a perfect cast of the pot but would probably be quite heavy compared to bubble foil?

Steve

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How about using neoprene? Doesn't burn til 260C/500F. Thinking cloth mouse mats might be a cheap source of the spongy foam neoprene.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
How about the small neoprene tablet cases that are sold in poundland? The seven inch case would be perfect for a billy can methinks, with only minor adjustment.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How about the small neoprene tablet cases that are sold in poundland? The seven inch case would be perfect for a billy can methinks, with only minor adjustment.

Yeah, might be bit thin, but always can shove some more insulation inside it.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
How about using neoprene? Doesn't burn til 260C/500F. Thinking cloth mouse mats might be a cheap source of the spongy foam neoprene.

ipad covers / sleeves from poundland

I have sum of the (b&q stuff) mate, send me your addy

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
So, I needed to make some new cosies and food pouches. Homebase have this
susyrudu.jpg

Its very light, but very tough, with a sort of nylon ripstop running through it. First impressions is that it will last a lot longer than the usual stuff. It will also serve as a reflective thermal barrier in a hammock etc.
ge5ynupy.jpg

Its on offer at 5:99 for a roll that's 4000mm x 500mm.

http://m.homebase.co.uk/mt/www.home...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=694573

@ rebeldog.. Do you still need some ? I'm happy to send you some free of charge if you want?

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
You may want to experiment with that foil as it may not be too suitable for cozies? It looks like it is just foil with no trapped air within like the bubble wrap or foam backed foils?

It may well reflect some heat but a lot will just escape by conduction if there is no air pockets.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hmmm yeah, thought about that. I'm going to double wall it with a foam layer sandwiched between. I know, its a bit more work, but I don't mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE