Postgrad money woes

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well it seems my loan is good for my fees but not much else.

(No one warned me about this...)

So I am in serious difficulty

What do other students do?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah. I am in class 3 days.

And have 30 hours reading on top of that...

Plus I live in an area in which jobs are scarce...and those that exist are often SUMMER jobs...

I am not sure this would work for me

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you can't see it working for you then you either move to a place where you can find work part time to support yourself or consider having to give it up until such time as you can afford to do it..

The workload you describe currently isn't particularly onerous compared to the experiences friends have related to me so I'm sure you'd be able to find time to do part-time work as well.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't mean to sound patronising but if you think it's worth it you'll find a way.

I know it's not the same but when I did my masters I did it the other way round. I was working full time and doing my studies in the evenings and weekends - 80 hour weeks were typical (and some times considerably longer) plus two young kids to entertain; as I said, if it's worth it you can do it.

I appreciate you've probably already thought about it but have you gone to your tutor and/or enquired if there's work you can do at the Uni?

Good luck

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It's not like the old days when a grant covered everything. Can you get a student bank loan? Talk to your bank manager. I know it's not ideal but if you are sure your eventual qualifications will get you a well paid job, it may be an option. Live frugally as said before. If you are used to a fairly comfortable life this can be scary. Sell your car and get a pushbike. This will up your fitness levels and give you some working cash. What else could you sell? What is essential for living and what is luxury. You can get by without a tv and save on the licence fees too. Charity shops for clothes and other things. One simple saving in my home is no loo paper ... well there is one for guests but I use an old flannel that gets washed every few days and rotated with others. I don't know if you have a family to support or a mortgage to pay. That complicates things. Frugal living is a way of life for me and I have all I need to live a comfy life. But then I live on my own. You may qualify for help with rent from the dss . Worth exploring that option perhaps? Don't panic there is always a way.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
A lot will depend on what you will be studying, ask if there is a grant available from the EEC, you can get a good grant for instance if you actually go to study in mainland Europe, again depends on your field of study.
Think hard and ask yourself will your degree give you better opportunities in the future, as having a degree is no guarantee of a good job, a lot rides on the field of study, I mean people are taking their degrees on things today that are in no way related to work, eg.TV shows,.and the like.
Another alternative is to be sponsored, this will depend on your age etc, Have you thought about becoming a Teacher?
Am I right in thinking you live in Cornwall, if so you must know that most jobs are extremely poorly paid, as well as being summer jobs.
It's a pity you don't live in Scotland as there are no fees to pay for University.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I was in a similar situation decades ago. I worked in the weekends and holidays. Took the job where I could work very long hours, even if the hourly rate was lower.
During weeks I usually had a job where I worked only a couple of hours each night. Usually stacking shelves. Sometimes filling fuel tanks, for the tip only.

6 years of it, working like a serf, living like a serf.
Spending all available time in Nature saved my mind.

I hope your post grad is in a field that will lead to better job, and not one of those 'new age fluff' subjects.
To many people study rubbish in Uni these days.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There are plenty of apps that you can download to get cheap deals on things. Groupon freecycle car share to name a few. There are student deals on coach or train cards. Can you rent out a room to another student? The ideas are out there. Start googling!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very few university students can claim that they have "financial security." Like you, I was one of them.
It took both time and effort to climb out of that hole. A long time.
You must start searching for something to repay your effort, even stuffing envelopes.

If you get to relax even one evening per week, consider yourself very fortunate.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I got 'financial security' the day I repaid what was left of my student loan. I was 48 years old.
The old student loan system in Sweden was hellish. The British one is better.

I did post grad studies ONLY because I knew it would not only improve my chance of getting work in a place where I wanted to work, but also give me a chance to earn more.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I agree with everyone else - grab what work you can, and live as frugally as possible. Frankly, I am surprised that your surprised - the fees are just one part of the postgrad cot, with living expenses taking up much of the rest. Thats something that needs to be factored in doing any post grad course.

When I was a postgrad, even though I was funded by the university, I could always do with more cash. The uni paid for undergrads to guide prospective students around the place, and I was their 'supervisor', which helped a bit, plus evening lecturing. Ask around the uni, and see what there is. It could be bar work, maintence, evening cleaning. Unis often have job boards for this sort of thing. And look at Indeed - lots of jobs, especially seasonal ones.

Tale advantage of whatever you can scavange. Because my girlfriend (now my wife) and I were known to the senior stuff for guiding during events, etc, we got work handing out freshers packs. What wasnt given out was a freebie to us. That included about 40 packets of Super Noodles, plus loads of disposable Bic razors. I didnt buy a razor for about 2 years from that alone.

And really budget for food. Aldi/Lidl is a boon for any student, hoover up cheap meat to freeze from supermarkets, have a weekly meal list and budget to match, and then ebay/Amazon for books, clothes, etc. My best tip at the moment is for cheap new pyjamas - airline ones from Ebay can be had for as little as £2 plus postage, and they are very nice cotton ones, since they are given out to first class passengers! My Barbours have both come from Ebay as well.

Write down what you spend (I had to pay for my first year of university, and that really helped to keep to my budget), go to your local libery and find the book on grant making trusts, etc. then go through them and find anyone that will fund for your subject, place of birth, particular situation, etc. A dozen well crafted letters could bring in a fair amount of money. And never ever get a credit card - I learn the hard way what a pit that can be to get out of.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm sorry Tengu if this sounds like a bunch of old F*rts saying 'grit your teeth and get on with it' - it's not supposed to. We're really saying we sympathise because we've been there :)

My bible when a student was 'Frugal Food' by Delia Smith - I think it's been republished since the 70's :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My daughter single parent worked full time brought up two kids and studied part time. She made it all on her own as she had determination. Wouldn't take a penny from me to help out. She now has a mortgage and a great job. Took her ten years of hard slog, but boy am I a proud mum . To see her at 17yrs old I didn't have a hope in hell for her. At twenty five I despaired shed ever amount a bean. Just goes to show. What determination and sacrifice can produce if you have your wits and health.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
When I qualified as a teacher in 1969, I discovered that my salary in a full-time teaching post was less than the grant I had been getting as a student. It took years to climb out of poverty with two children to support. I did an OU degree at my own expense while working fulltime as a teacher. I was fortunate that my LEA recognised my commitment to improving my qualifications and gave me a sabbatical to study at post-graduate level.
Before she met me, m y wife had to leave Art College and work in a sweatshop because she lost her funding. Only when the boys were old enough to be in full time education could she go to University as a mature student.

Elder son had to take scrape during post-graduate degree and cleaned student accommodation in vacations to support himself, then was out of work for a year but worked as a volunteer for Oxfam . They recognised his talents and gave him a paid job. . After first degree, younger son worked in kitchens before setting up in business as a self employed festival caterer. Daughter in law is a GP in her thirties who has only just finished paying off her student loan.

And we are the lucky ones who at least got some kind of grant towards achieving our potential. I'm appalled by what politicians have done to English education in recent years.

Life is hard, but at least we can get an education in the UK unlike all the poor souls whose talents and intelligence is blown away by war, famine and natural disaster.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tengu, you own your house back home. Is there not a University nearer to there where you could study ? Most universities will help/ advise with transfers. I know you said that your undergraduate degree was tailored for you, but if your qualifications aren't transferable then maybe you need to think again about this postgrad ?

Your home is a major asset, are you renting it out while you rent and live in the caravan in Cornwall ? and if not, might that not be the answer to your financial woes ?

I know that Scotland has a different funding system, but many students still stay at home while they study. It makes it less expensive overall, though daily commuting can become a bit of a grind. Both my sons stayed at home and travelled into Glasgow when they were at University. We were housing and feeding them anyway, nothing really changed that way. They did stay over night in town at times, and they did bring friends home to help clear the fridge, freezer and pantry, but, that's just youth :)
On the other hand, my sons, and many like them, went to University at 17. That's relatively common here when they've done well in fifth year highers and don't need to stay on for sixth year. Four year honours are normal here.

Work that might bring in money ? you write, and you photograph, why not write articles, and see if you can find a company that will put your articles forward for publication ?
This one is a bit "screaming banner headline-y", but you get the idea ?
https://www.sellusyourstory.com/sell-my-story/

Best of luck sorting it out, Tengu. I suspect that the worry doesn't help you focus on your studies.

M

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Don't postgrads get jobs as tutors or teaching assistants, these days?

How about tutoring kids preparing for their A-levels, is your first deree in a subject that would lend itself to that?

Tutoring should bring in at least £12 to £15 an hour; you could propose group tutoring of two or three kids at a time, at £10 an hour,

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Try crowd funding.. apparently it's all the rage nowadays. Was talking to a friend at a dinner party last night and we got on to employment so I told her your dilemma. She said she had just taken on a Yong chap this year who had done just that. She also has land and given me permission to forage and camp with a fire as long as I give them some:red: bushcraft lessons . Result!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Please try to find other ways before you go crowd funding.

Thereis so many ways of making money as a student, you just have to be open minded.

When I started my own post grad, I asked myself a couple of questions:
Is it worth the time, mental effort, prolonged povery level?
Will I be happer?
Will I be a better professional?

Last edited:
Reactions: WanderingMan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE