Possibles pouches and every day carry (EDC)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Hi all,

I've been inspired to pick up my leather working tools again by the lovely items and videos on Ian Atkinson leatherwork website. I've previously made myself a belt which I use all the time and cases for my knife and axe as well as three belt pouches one of which I sold and two I still have.

The pouches I have are large enough for a field guide and truth be told they are too big and look a bit daft as well as pulling down my trousers (a look I'm too old to pull off).

So I was thinking I'd make a smaller belt pouch, altoids or baccy tin size for a small kit to carry when I'm out walking with my young son or generally to have with me in the outdoors.

Then The thinking started......

Would that be big enough? Which size to go for? What if it's too big/heavy and I won't wear it? Etc etc!

Logic says work out what you will put in it, that dictates the size. So it hit me, I have no idea what I'd put in it.

I'm not in the wilderness and if I was I'd have a full pack of kit. I have pockets for most of my stuff such as a small pocket knife, I won't be lighting fires by the cycle track I live near so up by need a fire steel or a tinder box. I'm confused.

I was also thinking about all the so called every day carry items being touted on bushcraft supplies sites and I started to wonder does anyone actually carry this stuff every day?

So the questions are, what do you keep in a belt/possibles pouch and what every day carry stuff do people actually carry every day or every time they go outside?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On me all the time are my knife, lighter and keys. On my keyring is a torch, leatherman micra, pen, Ferro rod and whistle. There are a few plasters, a strip of Puritabs, roll of dental floss and Ziploc bag in my wallet. Almost all those items are used weekly. Many are used daily.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Thanks Red. I should have said that on my keys I have a mini Swiss Army knife and a whistle (from my recent scout leader days).

I like the idea of a little ferro rod on my keys and will have a look into that, what kind do you have as I have snapped the thinner small ones in the past.

Reno Lewis

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia, Canada
I have two pouches I carry while in the woods, one small and one large. Depends on where I'm going and what my intentions are. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I'm surrounded by wilderness and I tend to wander into the woods on a no notice basis, so I like to keep a few emergency items on me along with my EDC.

The smaller pouch is carried far more often than the larger pouch, I just don't notice I'm carrying it, and it fits under a jacket without issue.

Mora 510 for scale. If the pictures don't show the items well enough, just let me know and I'll make a list.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I wonder if any of you had experimented with birch bark? All my experiments ended up being a failure.

I've tried numerous times with Birch bark gathered in the UK without much success; I've come to the conclusion that it's a climate thing, the bark here is just not the same as in N Europe, it seems to be thin and brittle and just doesn't do the same job. I never even managed a decent stacked handle from it but got great results with some I harvested in Northern Germany; just different stuff :(

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I've tried numerous times with Birch bark gathered in the UK without much success; I've come to the conclusion that it's a climate thing, the bark here is just not the same as in N Europe, it seems to be thin and brittle and just doesn't do the same job. I never even managed a decent stacked handle from it but got great results with some I harvested in Northern Germany; just different stuff :(
Birch trees in Europe grow thicker bark due to the colder winters, same species though.

If you really want an EDC pouch or bag then it needs to contain things that are not only useful in an emergency, but every day. I use a small backpack which looks appropriate pretty much any where I might go. In addition to the typical bushcrafty items I keep stuff I need regularly in normal life - spare glasses, lip balm, antacid, antihistamine, a bottle of water, a bit of cash, pen and paper, small flashlight, mints, etc. So, I'm motivated to take it because it's quite useful every day - therefore in case of emergency I'm more likely to have it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...So I was thinking I'd make a smaller belt pouch, altoids or baccy tin size for a small kit to carry when I'm out walking with my young son or generally to have with me in the outdoors..."

If i'm out I'll have my bumbag with me, lots of things in there that are useful day to day and might be handy in an emergency, a disposable fold up poncho (which has been dried out and re-used many times), a map, spare cash, a multi tool etc. I do have a small altoids type tin in there that holds a mini cuts and scratches kit, band aids, tweezers, freznal lens, tick remover etc. very handy when out with the kids.

My key ring has a small bottle opener/screwdriver/box opener type thing from FGYT of this parish that usually gets used once a day.

I also live in Hungary where I'm not required to defend my carrying of a locking (or fixed blade) pocket knife with a length of less than 8 cm. So I generally have a Doug Ritter RSK with me too.

:)

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Reno Lewis, very nice small pouch, very similar to the one I carry for over 50+ years.
I have now an added item a mylar E blanket, getting old and like my comfort.
I also have a "possible" bag for my larger items, leather made of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE