Possibles pouch whats in yours

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Some very good idea's here. I usually take a small kit with me and pack anything else I may need as appropriate to the event in my pack. The kit has (as far as I remember):

SAK style knife (I admit it, I'm a cheapskate!),
10m of that horrible green flat plastic string - you know the sutff I mean, very strong, cheap (so I don't mind cutting it up) and lightweight,
lighter
couple of hexi tabs
paper & pencil
whistle
neadles & strong thread
fishing hooks
plastic bag
a couple of 4" nails (good for punching holes in things, +many other uses I can't think of), one with 5m of duct tape wrapped round it
firesteel
cotton wool
small diamond sharper
spare torch batteries

I carry a personal FAK seperately, but that's a whole different thread!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Big John said:
a couple of 4" nails (good for punching holes in things, +many other uses I can't think of), one with 5m of duct tape wrapped round it

i've considered nails too but not really figured out what size is optimal for mutipurpose use in bushcraft i'm of to the work shop for a rummage now :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I guess there are two overlapping approaches to carrying stuff on your person like this.
1. Stuff you use frequently.
2. 'Survival kit' - things that will keep you going if separated from your rucksack.

In the first category I would include firelighting, knife, torch, midge repellent, simple compass, a drinking vessel, headover/bandanna, handwashing stuff, water, cordage, monocular, lightweight waterproof, maybe a loupe.

Many of these also fit into group 2 but you might add a whistle, FAK, poncho, food, etc,etc.

Of course, you can't get all this in a possibles pouch. Hence the popularity of the Proteus/Response Pak bumbags.

It would be interesting to know what was carried in the original possibles pouch of the trapper/frontiersman.

I

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I have a disguised lunch box that lives in my desk at work which I use for lunchtime "escapes" after a recent rebuild it now contains

A sheet of plastic to sit on (free)
Another sheet of plastic with strings on the corner and large elastic band bungies that I can use as a temporary basha. (free)
Metal cup (not my crusader cup) that I can cook on (£1.99)
hexi stove and blocks
500 ml water bottle (Wilkinson £1)
tiny FAK (Wilkinson £1)
lighter (Wilkinson 45p)
20m(ish) of white nylon cord (Of our old curtains)
half a cheap pair of binoculars. (£4.99 pair from garage last year)
Zip pull compass (£3)
Maglite solitaire compass (£9)

and on my keyring I have an LED torch and small SAK.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I’ve most of what others have but there are two additional items:-

Incident sheets, to prompt for info that professional medics would find useful when they take over responsibility for a casualty, in small envelopes with reinforced punched hole and string to attach to casualty’s clothing.

3 pairs of poly survival bags – BCB used to do these pairs in one pack - one high vis orange the other drab olive. Always thought it was a good idea, seem to be discontinued from them now but could be made up easy enough.

Never had to use any of this kit out in the wild. Used the first aid bits frequently at the office!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
My possibles pouch is actually a web haversack I got for £5 from an army surplus store. Unfortunately my sister immediately decided she wanted one as a new handbag :eek:

The contents are:
  • orienteering type compass
  • tiffin box for cooking
  • no-germs soap free hand wash
  • SAK Farmer
  • Fist Aid Kit
  • Gerber Knife Sharpener
  • Orange Bivvy Bag
  • Space Blanket
  • Folding Plastic Cup
  • Sewing/Repair Kit
  • Wire Saw
  • Sugar
  • SOS Whistle
  • Spare Button Compass
  • Straw
  • Can Opener
  • Mini Maglite
  • Pencil
  • Spinner
  • Fishing line and hooks
  • BRKT Mikro Slither
This is still a work in progress and I'' add things like a handline to it whilst reducing some of the redundant items. The nice shiny tin is a fire box!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Just remembered one other item in my pouch that no-one else seems to have mentioned - a candle. Handy for lighting, firelighting, waxing saw blades, etc...

Sep 2, 2004
WALES
call me minimilist but shouldn't just a decent kinfe and a flint be enough? thats all i carry oh and a whetstone and a meter or so of wire.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That very much depends on what skill level you have, where you are, what you're doing, and how long you intend to be doing it for...

And just because you can get by with nothing, doesn't mean you should. Sure, you could get by for a several days in the mountains with basically nothing, but you'd be terminally stupid (IMHO) to do so deliberately.

BlueAdept

Aug 16, 2006
London
Hello all, I'm kinda introducing myself here too... since this is my first post!...

I'm a bit of a "bushcraft virgin", although I've done my share of camping and generally being practical.... but I'd love to get into some more of this stuff, and/or get away from this city a bit more!...

The reason I'm posting in this thread is that I came across your forum whilst looking for a larger belt pouch, for my work I have taken to carrying a small one with a SAK, a spacepen and a solitare maglite... and I have a rucksack in the boot of my car with a few emergency supplies... I thought I was the only one to do it, so imagine my surprise when I found you lot!!

I thought you might be interested what a "non expert" might have packed... I hope you will have some comments etc... I guess I've aimed these at a slightly more urban situation than most of you!

In my new pouch, I just managed to fit what I wanted...

1 SAK, (Not sure which type, 1 large, 1 small blade, scisors, bottle & can opener, flat screwdrivers (small and large) .. was a present a long time ago.. LOL.
Disposable Lighter (Easy to see remaining fuel)
1 1AA LED torch
Classic Spacepen
2 spare AA batteries (Doubles for my GPS or the torch)
OZON mint tin with asprin, paracetamol, nurofen & benadryl in.
OZON mint tin with plasters in
1 pack of 20 resealable wet wipes... (Don't know how resealable they really are)
1 pack of waterproof matches
1 ball of cotton wool in ziplock bag.
Oh, and I added a whistle after reading this thread...

OZON tins are cool BTW - http://www.ozon-mint.com/gfx/hand.gif

In my rucksack... actually it's just become a smaller shoulder bag otherwise it'll get left in the car.. I have :-

1 pot of chlorine tablets (dunno why, seemed like a good idea!)
4 spare AA's
2 disposable lighters
OZON mint tin with asprin, paracetamol, nurofen & benadryl in.
No-Germs hand cleaner spray
8LED torch (bright!)
compas
mini knife sharpener
Buck crosslock knife
charcoal fueled hand warmer
Pen, pencil & permanent marker
Notebook
PVC tape
Tin with cotton wool in.
1 pack of 20 resealable wet wipes...
1 antiseptic spray
1 pack of waterproof matches
1 zippo presentation tin with plasters in.
Coleman F1 lite lantern and fuel
1 can of redbull energy drink
1 pack of tissues
medium sized commercial FAK
2 Kellogs nutrigrain bars.

I'm quite attached to the coleman lanterns, I used one as a heater when stranded in a broken down landrover in sub zero temperatures... Made that night rather a lot more comfortable... :)

This bag is 10" x 11" x 5" BTW, so it's not a big problem to carry.

Love to hear your opinions...

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
WOW :eek: either some of these pouches are huge or there are some very small items in them!

My possible pouch is the little leather first aid pouch from Woodlore (yes i know another Raymondo clone, laugh at me and be done with it! :D )

I have the military survival tin (from Penrith Survival-with the NATO compass) and have added a full size fireflash, heliograph, cut to size adhesive plasters, a strip of old inner tube from my mountain bike tyres and a blue flame lighter along with a small length of paracord.
Although i would like a bit more i think if it was any bigger i may notice it was there and not take it with me, at the moment i can forget i'm wearing it, until i get back in the car and it sticks straight in my kidneys :censored:

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Folks, in my humble opinion a possibles pouch should be a pouch, not a sack. It should have a couple of little luxuries that make life a little more pleasant in the bush, example, beef jerky, trail food (raisins,etc), maybe a couple of antiseptic wipes and a few plasters for the constant cuts and scrapes you get when you are on the move. Again this is just my input. Hope it helps.

Frank

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The sketches I've seen of the 19th century ones looked like a bag more than a belt pouch but would have probably had some gun cleaning kit in too.
Mine is a place to put all my stuff I need for a day out playing :lmao:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
my possibles pouch contains;
dc4 stone,
match case with compass,
strike anywhere matches,
fireball firesteel,
5x snares,
folding knife (crkt m16),
mini photon light,
wetfire tinder,
candle,
15m thin paracord,
fish hooks,
hexi-tabs x3,

i also have a ritter psk and a folding cup in my pocket.

in my satchel i usually have a tinderbox, a first aid kit, a folding saw, a monocular, more paracord, gloves, crusader cup with lid and cooker with brew kit and food (ziplock of cous-cous, dried onions, a stock cube and a couple of mini pepperami), spoon, water bottle, 4x packets of greenheat.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Depends on what I'm doing. For every day, off duty, I have one of those fanny pack affairs containing:

cell phone
compass
pen light
matches
jerk
jack knife
automatic pistol
ammo
flex cuffs
chemical mace
badge
sugical gause
rubber gloves
face mask

For canoeing or camping I carry a small duluth pack containing:

compass
map
matches
pen light
water bottle
jerk
cheese
raisins
large caliber revolver
ammo
hunting knife
permits
badge
water filter

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
corrrrr you go on holiday for a week and .....

lots of interesting ideas here i'll have to digest and reply later 300+ new posts to scan:eek:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
gregorach said:
Just remembered one other item in my pouch that no-one else seems to have mentioned - a candle. Handy for lighting, firelighting, waxing saw blades, etc...

I've been thinking about this too but it's not gone in yet

Raptor said:
Folks, in my humble opinion a possibles pouch should be a pouch, not a sack. It should have a couple of little luxuries that make life a little more pleasant in the bush, example, beef jerky, trail food (raisins,etc), maybe a couple of antiseptic wipes and a few plasters for the constant cuts and scrapes you get when you are on the move. Again this is just my input. Hope it helps.

Frank
yup mine too the things in it are to help me have a good time and live comfortably if i have to

pierre girard said:
Depends on what I'm doing. For every day, off duty, I have one of those fanny pack affairs containing:

cell phone
compass
pen light
matches
jerk
jack knife
automatic pistol
ammo
flex cuffs
chemical mace
badge
sugical gause
rubber gloves
face mask

For canoeing or camping I carry a small duluth pack containing:

compass
map
matches
pen light
water bottle
jerk
cheese
raisins
large caliber revolver
ammo
hunting knife
permits
badge
water filter

:D they'd lock me up and throw away the key if i was found in possession of some of the stuff you carry but this is all about different location and the things you'd need

added to my pouch and to my post at the top are

No8 medium dressing
plastic drill container wrapped in 3m of gaffer tape containing
15 x 2" nails don know if this is staying yet
one Indian stone [fine water stone]
6" of bcycle inner tube
and i'm still thinking

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE