Possible Bargain

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I recently bought a Gerber '''Suspension '' Multi-tool from one of Tiso's outdoor shops for £35 which I think is good value and worth a look at. I don't know if this was on an 'Offer' or if that is the standard price of these. By comparison with many of the other Multi tools it is very well made and comfortable to use. The handles when opened out toform pliers are nice and rounded and do not bite into your hands when putting on pressure . There are also lock buttons to release the lock mechanism of all the tools and the needle nose pliers are quite fine.
I admit it is a little bulky but worth it for the comfort of use. Worth a look.!!!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
ol' smokey said:
I recently bought a Gerber '''Suspension '' Multi-tool from one of Tiso's outdoor shops for £35 which I think is good value and worth a look at. I don't know if this was on an 'Offer' or if that is the standard price of these. By comparison with many of the other Multi tools it is very well made and comfortable to use. The handles when opened out toform pliers are nice and rounded and do not bite into your hands when putting on pressure . There are also lock buttons to release the lock mechanism of all the tools and the needle nose pliers are quite fine.
I admit it is a little bulky but worth it for the comfort of use. Worth a look.!!!

John Norris of Penrith - Fishing Tackle shop are selling these for£29.99
www.JohnNorris.co.uk
:D

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
hammock monkey said:
i bought the leatherman charge xti titanium, and its pretty rubbish i have to say....

Hey fella,

do you want to expand on that? I've no problem with your opinion, i'd just like to know your observations. I have an original PST and a Wave and the original is better in all departments bar one, i don't like the half straight blade, half serrated blade, were as the Wave has a Straight blade and a serrated blade.

I thought the Charge XTi Titanium was supposed to be the mutt's, what are your views?

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Jedadiah, while you wait for a reply from Hammock Monkey, I hope you don't mind me making some comments...

I bought the XTi last summer. Took it on a coastal holiday. Really liked the feel of the thing, and the one-handed-opening 154cm blade. Two screwdriver bits seemed a bit ridiculous, until I decided not to take the other bit attachments, and so had the space for two on the tool itself (rather than just the one on the Ti).

The Charge's ability to rust, however, was alarming. On the holiday I cleaned what I could but it was the spots inside the joints that worried me the most.

I've just recently ordered a Victorinox Spirit from the US on ebay for £27 inc pouch, rally SAK, and postage. From the reviews I've read it would appear this may be a better deal than the £35 Gerber Suspension...

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
154CM blade! How big is the sheath? Must take a while to sharpen!

Seriously, i just thought i would ask about the Charge because evryone i talk to who has one swears by them. Now, is this because they do not want to admit they paid out big for something not up to spec?

I'm happy with my two, jus thought i'd ask why he was'nt happy, and i'm surprised that your's rusted on asummer holiday, even if it was costal. What sort of thing were you doing?

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Jedadiah said:
...i'm surprised that your's rusted on asummer holiday, even if it was costal. What sort of thing were you doing?

Nothing too outlandish. It cut a few tomatoes now and then, but was wiped down after. Other than that just regular usage.

I didn't think the coastal aspect of the holiday would make that big a difference but I can't think of another reason why I noticed this rust and others don't seem to have the same problem...

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
That's quite bizarre, i've has my PST since the early '90's and i got my Wave just after they were released and i've used them both extensivley in all manner of situations. Hot arrid countries (Middle East) Jungle (Belize) Freezing Cold (Norway/ Falklands) Very Wet (Wales!) and all i've done is basic maintenance. Not even a sniff of rust!

Might i suggest you have some substandard material in your Charge? Has anyone else had this problem? If this is your first encounter with a Leatherman, i'm not surprised your put off!

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
You could be right about the substandard material, Jedadiah. I contacted Leatherman's UK contact and they seemed very helpful. I was told to send the Charge to them and they'd consider replacing it. I went to dig out the Charge and found it had gone walkabout from my bag on the way back home... :(

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I think it can just be luck of the draw. I used to have a gerber, can't remember which one, but the steel was very brittle and after only a year, it was covered in rust (to be fair, gerber did replace it free of charge), whereas my leatherman wave is 5 years old, i use it pretty much every day and use it hard. Not a single blade has broken (a few bent ones mind) and no rust anywhere.
Baggins

Gailainne

Life Member
I have the sebertech m4, for its size a really nice bit of kit, the only time its not on my person (keyring) is when I'm in a plane, then its in my luggage.

My other multitool is a Leatherman Wave, I did have an initial problem with it, in that the plier jaws seemed soft, and actually bent will doing something pretty basic with them, sent it back and got a replacement, no problem and no problems since, as shiny as when I got it.

Stephen

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Jedadiah said:
Hey fella,

Hi There I was'nt making a comparison with any particular multitool but I can say that the Gerber does have both blades full edge ie one straight the other serrated all the way plus a saw blade thaty has two rows of teeth like a S.A.K
saw which is not very long but I would guess would be sufficient to cut a sapling for a walking stick. I have no connection or reason to support Tiso's but I did take in an old catalogue of theirs to let the syaff see prices from the early 70's
and was surprised to find that the boss was keen to have this date of catalogue.
I was given a Leatherman for it which was about £70 at that time but I never got used to the handles when used as pliers Hence why I liked the Gerber . A pretty good deal when you consider that the catalogue was free in the first place.
It was just that I was lucky that this catalogue was the only one missing from his collection I am never normally one to come out of things so well.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Jedadiah said:
Hey fella,

Hi There I was'nt making a comparison with any particular multitool but I can say that the Gerber does have both blades full edge ie one straight the other serrated all the way plus a saw blade thaty has two rows of teeth like a S.A.K
saw which is not very long but I would guess would be sufficient to cut a sapling for a walking stick. I have no connection or reason to support Tiso's but I did take in an old catalogue of theirs to let the syaff see prices from the early 70's
and was surprised to find that the boss was keen to have this date of catalogue.
I was given a Leatherman for it which was about £70 at that time but I never got used to the handles when used as pliers Hence why I liked the Gerber . A pretty good deal when you consider that the catalogue was free in the first place.
It was just that I was lucky that this catalogue was the only one missing from his collection I am never normally one to come out of things so well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE