Portable auger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello thought I share an auger I made a handle for that also work as a sheath which makes it compact and portable. The handle is made of very dry birch and I testet the strength by drill another piece of bone dry birch and it worked nice. Is is inteded for green wood drilling and I'm gonna put it in my backpack.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Tried my carving knife on it then linseed oiled it. Gonna wipe of the excess soon then let it dry for some days/weeks...

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
A little sad update. It split today :(. Chips jammed and I just kept turning it with force when I tried to drill through two birch logs cross grain in one go. I think the design work great, with some reinforcement and common sense I am sure it gonna hold!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hate it when that happens. Yes, you learn, and your skills improve, and you can make another, but all the same, that tool that you were so pleased with is gone.

Great idea though. I might make one myself.

I really love the idea of it hiding in the handle I made a similar wood handle for mine it also broke I now use a handle made from cheep flatbar but I intended on setting that in a wood handle and now that I have seen your setup I think I will try that out and set the metal in the wood handle and glue it in....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE