Popping your corn!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Last week I was going to post and ask if anyone had any favourite ways to make popcorn while out and about as I think it's something that the kids will love doing but I didn't get round to it!

I've seen a brilliant way!

https://www.facebook.com/ChilternOpenAirMuseumEvents/videos/1155277764522769/

Yes, it's facebook so for those that can't view it, it's two metal sieves together so it's like a mesh globe. Brilliantly simple! I was thinking of making foil pouches or stuff like that but you can't see what's going on so much. Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest!!

I'll be stuffed with popcorn now.....er.....I mean the kids will be! :cool:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How simple! As a kid, we had a rectangular metal mesh basket with a sliding mesh lid on a long handle.
I do believe I can still buy them.

Personally, I'd rather use a pot with some corn oil. No butter but some seasoned salt. Kid tested and kid approved.

I found one in the Cabella's catalog. Perforated metal, non stick, not mesh (to watch the corn pop) and $25, but you get the idea.
I think that for the money, the 2 kitchen sieves is a far better deal.

Last edited:

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Yep, saw a picture last year of popcorn in a sieve and ever since it's become a staple. The smell outdoors is fantastic...
1dcd45fd975efc12e44d5b263692816e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Prior to Columbus' arrival in the New World, there were and (basically) are 5 kinds of corn/maize = flint corn, flour corn, dent corn, sweet corn and popcorn.
Look them up, I have no appetite for another lecture.

Bash a kernel of popcorn on a stone. See the little white part in the middle? Those are the water cells which make the kernel explode when heated.
Old, dried, stale popcorn is really dried out = won't pop easily. Keep it in your freezer. Buy fresh each autumn.

There are 2 shapes = mushroom (tough to chew) and snowflake (light, fluffy, easily chewed).
Mpst domestic popcorn is a mix.
Do you remember Orville Redenbacher and popcorn? He was the world's best popcorn genetics master in all of history.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Found this on Youtube and had to try it out, it works!! It's now my wifes favourite way to do popcorn

[video=youtube;lXKbrkbyPV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKbrkbyPV8[/video]

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's gross. What was the fat in the popcorn? Walrus? Cape Buffalo? Penguin?
Obviously kid tested and kid approved but you ought to check your source.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sold in the uk though.

Ouch. Not available by mail order either?

Mind there are a couple of disadvantages anyway for extended trips or backpacking in:
1) it's a bit bulky
2) it's relatively fragile to pack among camping gear

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
That's gross. What was the fat in the popcorn? Walrus? Cape Buffalo? Penguin?
Obviously kid tested and kid approved but you ought to check your source.

Yeah well I never said I liked it:) That fat could be anything, recycled McDonalds chip fat, floor wax, earwax, axle grease ??? Doesn't look appetising when you see it like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE