Poplar Ladle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Cheers Hoodoo, id love to carve Lime (Basswod) unfortunately, there is none around here at all and even the lumber supply place gave me a blank stare when i asked if they had any:(

No way to mail order it? I buy all mine by mail order. Specifically, I buy "northern basswood." Some of the best in the world comes from Heinecke's. And they sell the old fashioned way. They ship it to you and then you send them a check after it arrives. I don't know if they ship across the pond but I can imagine if they did, the price would be considerable for shipping. :(

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
No way to mail order it? I buy all mine by mail order. Specifically, I buy "northern basswood." Some of the best in the world comes from Heinecke's. And they sell the old fashioned way. They ship it to you and then you send them a check after it arrives. I don't know if they ship across the pond but I can imagine if they did, the price would be considerable for shipping. :(

nah, i have so much Poplar, Willow, Hazel, Sycamore, Ash etc all available to me free it's not really worth it, i wanted to try some Lime and that's the only carving wood ive ever tried to buy, but as above the lumber supply didnt even know what i was talking about

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Got lots of lime near me, and can get more very, very easily. Wye valley is full of the stuff. If you ever want to do a trade, I'm sure something could be arranged.

Nice ladle by the way. Never tried carving poplar. Sort of gave up on it after discovering it was useless to burn, but I did a bit of turning with somerecently and the results were quite good. Might have to play around with it some more...

For what it is worth, when I buy wood, I use this place. They always have lots of lime. Website not the best, but they respond well to phone enquiries. No affiliation etc, just find them very good for customer service.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Got lots of lime near me, and can get more very, very easily. Wye valley is full of the stuff. If you ever want to do a trade, I'm sure something could be arranged.

Nice ladle by the way. Never tried carving poplar. Sort of gave up on it after discovering it was useless to burn, but I did a bit of turning with somerecently and the results were quite good. Might have to play around with it some more...

For what it is worth, when I buy wood, I use this place. They always have lots of lime. Website not the best, but they respond well to phone enquiries. No affiliation etc, just find them very good for customer service.

Thanks for the info, might give them a call on Monday, might also take you up on your offer of a trade for some timber as well.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE