pop up tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I bought an Outwell Jersey S last September mainly to use on my stag weekend as I figured I would be in no state to erect or pack a traditional tent away. I love it - I've used it many times since then and its never let me down (recently it made a "pop" noise when I put it up but I had a look yesterday and its only a piece of the velcro opened up that holds the poles in place). It has 3000 HH Fly and I've never had a bit of condensation from it. Its great to use if your only a short walk from the car but the disc it packs down to is a little unwieldy, however it packs away in 10seconds flat and is easy to do.

One massive plus point for these tents is the lack of hassle it takes to get them nice and toasty dry after camping in the rain - no half erecting it in the garden or draping fly sheets over bannisters - just open, pop leave on dining room floor, get yelled at by SWMBO and then fold away.

I have just replaced mine for something more portable and lightweight but I really cant praise them enough and even the most cynical of people I have camped with laughed like a drain (not quite sure If I've ever seen a happy drain) when I arrive with it - they soon stop when my gear is all setup and I've got a brew on within 3 minutes.

Cheers

Netto is selling a Rolson pop-up tent (2 man) for 14.99 - half the price of anywhere else.
Have a look at the specials for the 23rd (they were all on sale today here in Newcastle)

I've just bought one but its chucking it down up here and I'm waiting for a dry spell to try it.:(

Mark
I just got one of the rolson ones. I am going to see if my lad age 6 can put it up on his own.
I think the quality may be lacking somewhat but we shall see, watch this space.

bodge:)

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I'll be impressed if he can put it back in the bag on his own! I opened it up in the house yesterday and was worried I wouldn't be able to get it down. I still don't think I could easily repeat the technique I used in the end.:eek:

The quality seems ok - taped seams etc but I suspect that driving rain would readily enter the ventilation holes. It's reasonably spacious though.

Mark
I just got one of the rolson ones. I am going to see if my lad age 6 can put it up on his own.
I think the quality may be lacking somewhat but we shall see, watch this space.

bodge:)

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
A good way to see how pop up tents can be folded up and repacked,is by going to youtube.lots of people have made videos and posted them,showing how they do it.apparently,once a person has the knack,it is very easy and quick to flod up and pack a pop up tent.I have just bought one,second hand,from ebay.the seller posted it today,along with a message saying she has just noticed that the bottom groundsheet is badly scuffed,as if it has been dragged along stone chippings.I hate it when people only notice these things,after it has been won.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I seem to remember a couple of years ago at the Bushmoot Tony was showing us how easy they were to put away....as long as you didn't need to use it again.

Matt

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
i love the way you guys like decathlon products as i work there!

Excellent! Then, can you tell me why there are so few Decathlon stores in the UK and none in the South-West?

It seems barking! I used to live in Germany and there were quite a few in my area and just across the border in France. Also, I used to pass one in Heerlen, Holland. I used to use them all the time.

They are great shops with great products and, surely, you would make a killing here in Britain? What is Decathlon's policy on expansion in the UK?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
as you know decathlon is a french company, and the main reason for so few stores is the channel.

As they must send all goods across and the dilivery time is a week or so (seeing as the closest warehouse is in belgium) so they put a few stores in the UK just as a tester to see what the buisness would be like.
i think we passed on that part and i think theyre planning on a closer warehouse and when thats up then there will definately be more stores here in the UK.

by 2010 we hope to have 5 new stores in the UK.

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
Decathlon are not selling quechua tents online at present,but are planning to late 2008 i think.one consolation,is quechua tents can be bought on ebay pretty cheap.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Decathlon are not selling quechua tents online at present,but are planning to late 2008 i think.one consolation,is quechua tents can be bought on ebay pretty cheap.

Really? I picked up my 3 second air in a sale for less than £50. Even full price, I think the Ebay prices are expensive!

haich

Jan 1, 2008
North West
hi all just adding my 2p the outwell ones arent that dear and are really easy to put down vango also do a pop up in a 2 man version and you can get single and double skin the double skin one does have a small porch area and are also quite easy to put down imo anyway they are 2000h/h unlike the outwell which are as previously stated 3000h/h

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
like other member's mentioned before, pop up tents are bulky and you wouldnt even dream of carrying it when backpacking thorugh the wilderness

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
True - when packed they're bulky and unwieldy. However the one I've been using recently (the Quecha 2 Second XL I think) is one seriously comfortable tent for its size; has (unlike the majority of popups) an enclosed porch and only cost me about £30 in the Decathalon january sale!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE