Poor man's water filter (uplands)

L

lewismansell

Any good suggestions on making a water filter to take into the hills rather than buy one? I bivved in *** **** ******** over the Summer and although I boiled the water that I used to then drink, it had a fair bit of sediment in it, so was wondering on a home-made example? I've made some before through Scouts with a plastic bottle, a pair of tights and some coal & sand, but not very practical in the hills...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's just sediment then a lightweight but good sized piece of wool flannel would do. Just like the stuff that old jam making jelly bags were made from.

Just shake it off, squeeze it out and air dry if you can. It's wool though, so it won't mind being damp for a wee while until you get it home and washed and dried out properly.

Somewhere, ( another back of a cupboard somewhere :rolleyes:) I have some.
Ach, just hot wash a bit of old woollen jumper or blanket and that'll felt it and it'll work fine.
It won't mildew like cotton, but it might get munched by mice or moths if you don't store kit safely.

cheers,
Toddy

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
When are you going?

I get sheets of pollynit heatseal from work, 7"x7" that i simply double up (two sheets) and place over a recepticle with a couple of laccy bands to hold it in place...

Its ultra fine weave, and wont rot. simple boil and a grit free cuppa!

Freel free to PM your addy and i'll post you some :)

TBL.

L

lewismansell

Could I use a standard un-treated/un-scented cloth from the super market?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't see why not, if it's only to get some sediment out before you boil then a lot of fabrics would do the trick.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try buying a jelly bag which is a realy fine plastic/nylon mesh. only a few quid wont rot is small and would fit inside you water bottle or cup. it also folds down to next to nout.....

hope this helps.

chris.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE