Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was thinking of going to Llangollen to take some photos of Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, and wondered if anyone here has been, and what's it like for photographing?

I thought I'd ask, because a few weeks back, I took a trip to Shap Abbey, intending to get some sunset shots, only to find that the Abbey is situated in a hollow and so there was no chance at all of any sunset piccies.

I was planning on Saturday, but metcheck says that it's going to be cloudy, so I may postpone to another date.

There seems to be a few good things to photograph round there, like the Valle Crucis Abbey, Llangollen Wharf, Steam Railway (not operating at the mo - winter season), Dinas Bran Castle, the chain bridge, Plas Newydd, and more.

Hmm, maybe it'll need more than a day.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
The aqueduct is surrounded by trees and would make a great autumnal shot, but you might be a little late.

I have walked over the aqueduct when doing the Offa's Dyke path. It is worth the visit just to walk it! However, being on it is not the best place to photograph it and I suspect that you'd get better shots from down in the valley.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I was born near Llangollen and the things you mention would be great for photographs. Dinas Bran in particular is very dramatic, a ruined castle on a hill overlooking the town and visible from it. or you can climb the hill and shoot the town from the ruins. Valle Crucis and the Pillar of Eliseg nearby are also good subjects imo.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Another aqueduct nearby is the Chirk Aqueduct - it's not as grand as t'other one, but it's still v. nice looking.

You could also look at Chirk Castle... it's not a "romantic" castle, but it can be quite impressive in the right light. I ought to give a special plug to the Castle gardens though, as my father-in-law is Head Gardener there. ;)

0292_chirk_aqueduct_2_s0010588.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirk_Aqueduct

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
You can get lovely shots of dinas bran caslte at sunset.

The Llangochlan aquaduct also is a nice location for photgraphs if you go to the visitor centre and walk along the path you can get some lovely shots through the trees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE