Ponchos - anyone use them in the UK?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I rarely wear mine amongst people as it is DPM and quite frankly makes you look a prize doofus. Having said that in a solitary environment or when sitting out a storm it comes into its own.

Dont worry about what other people think, thats their problem. Wear it when you want eh!:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I+can+walk+no+further.....jpg

Real walking? Here is a pic of me wearing my 58 pattern poncho, at the point the picture was taken I had just walked a little over a thousand miles over hills, a couple of mountains and lots of forests, it kept me dry, it doubled as my tent and I still use it today twelve years later.

I wouldn't wear it in the Cairngorms though. :)

Nice picture, good job the wind didn't change direction/pick up speed or you'd not have posted it:rolleyes:

How many hill walkers do you see wearing them? How many army personel do you see wearing them out on the Beacons?

Any new members new to walking in exposed conditions, please do not rely on a poncho for protection.

May 16, 2011
Perth
I use one. the first one i used was a jackpyke realtree thing, it was quite heavy and was a bit of a pain in the wind. i recently got the trekmates poncho, it has a handy button between the legs for the wind and has room for your pack just make sure you dont tuck your trousers into the wellies lol. But sure if the rains hard enough i wear mine walking the dog always walk past people giving me a dirty look while they are soaked through

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I think ponchos are more acceptable/normal now than they used to be since so many younger people use them for the music festivals now.

I usually keep one in my bag when hiking, it's nice to have the security of something that can be a makeshift shelter in a worst case scenario during a more remote hike.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
If I need to go very light and I'm not expecting rain then it's a poncho tarp as shelter and waterproof together with a wind shirt. An elastic cord at the waist helps a lot with wind and flapping but yes it can be baggy. Mountain marathon runners seem to use them just fine in all kind of hills. In the Jungles of Borneo they seem to be used by all. I do prefer water proofs if I'm expecting rain but that's more what I am used to than a Poncho being unsuitable in terms of protection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE