Poncho - Tarp - Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cool! Lot's of use out of one item, like it :)

Yeah I can see it being really useful for summer day hikes, rain gear, day shelter and a nice seat all in one.
Could be handy as a bivvying tarp for those odd moments you get a clear night and wish you had your hammock with you.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Very interesting. I was looking at seeing if I could get hammock usage from a Polish army poncho, since it is certaintly usable as a tarp (if an odd shape) and I like it as a poncho. So far all I achieved is tearing out an eyeley, but I think it will work if set right.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I see there's 10% off most stuff on the Tenth Wonder site at the moment too! Fancy a big Hornet myself ;)

I have one of those big hornet hammocks. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Very interesting. I was looking at seeing if I could get hammock usage from a Polish army poncho, since it is certaintly usable as a tarp (if an odd shape) and I like it as a poncho. So far all I achieved is tearing out an eyeley, but I think it will work if set right.

Sounds good, a canvas hammock would be nice and warm I should think, could try whipping the ends maybe?

Well I managed to last 8 hours before I caved in and ordered one, might be a personal record for me :). Will give it a test out and report back.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Only one thing wrong with poncho tarps imo: if you really need it, you'll have it up at your camp as a tarp to stop the rain. So you don't have any more raingear for when nature calls or you need to do anything away from your tarp ;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Only one thing wrong with poncho tarps imo: if you really need it, you'll have it up at your camp as a tarp to stop the rain. So you don't have any more raingear for when nature calls or you need to do anything away from your tarp ;)

Fair point, but I like the versatility when you only want a short camp, such as a lunch break on a hike.

My favourite use for a poncho is just as a tarp. I also always have a 3 in 1 water proof jacket. The thing is, if you get caught in unavoidable complete downpours as I have twice this year, the poncho is the best thing to shed the rain and wind away from you, even legs stay dry. Even a good jacket like a paramo can wet out. Then when it comes to camp, still have a tarp. There are no set weather, camp, walk, or expedition conditions. But having that 58 pattern poncho tarp - easily one of the best £5 I ever spent on versatility in gear.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
what happens to stop your bum poking through the neck hole when used as a hammock?

or could that be another use - hammock toilet :)

As for needing rain gear for when you setup as a tarp, just buy two that way you have all the versatility but now you'll have built-in redundancy also :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I think this would be a perfect day hike item, rain gear, tarp for a brew stop, hammock if the weather is nice and you want to chill.
And for hammock toilet the hennesy with bottom entry would be best I think.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
It's a nice idea, but it's 1.2kg. That's pretty damn heavy!

J

Yes pretty much the weight of my DIY hammock + Golite ponchotarp. Just sayin'....

I LOVE multipurpose items, but not for things that tend to get used together because you're buggered when you need them both at the same time.

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
I agree that it's too heavy being that my jacket, tarp and hammock with suspension weigh less but I bet its a great bit of kit to live in your kit bag or car to be used as a tough bit of reserve kit when things break, are forgotten or circumstances change.

They're UK based and British made aren't they? Seems a bargain for some decent kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE