Poncho Recommendation Wanted.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm looking for a poncho for use at festivals this summer, mostly as a groundsheet, but also to keep me and the li'l dude dry as we race towards shelter from the inevitable downpours. I'm also thinking about using one as a waterproof in the canoe, as I'm hoping that it could keep my trousers dry too. Has anyone used one like this?

Which would you recommend, British, American or any other?

All opinions welcome.

Cheers, Michael.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use a german one. it's pretty good. I find the british one to be too stiff.
I've not used the US one so I can't comment on that one.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to have one which I think was german. It was waxed cotton a bit like a Barbour jacket. That did me for 8 years of V-festivals and Glastonburys until it got nicked. It was quite heavy and didn`t roll up particulary small but it did shed the rain well, and it was long enough to sit on.

UK issue poncho =heavy and leaky but tough as old boots, coating always comes off-spray with wD40 to proof
German poncho=the old olive green rubber ones, the best poncho you'll ever buy, tough and never leaks.
Swiss Poncho=wacky cammo, strange cut.
Dutch Poncho=Very Good quality, dpm ripstop cammo comes in own pouch, coated fabric but so far stays on and very light but tough
Italian=cammo woodland, very lightweight non ripstop,barely waterproof, tears to shreds on the slightest nick... (I sewed mine up into wee draw bags as it was so cac as a poncho!)
US poncho's, very much like a poor man's Dutch poncho, not as good quality, but still tough, comes in gree, black, woodland, coated fabric wears off eventually. Mine was a very wet wear.

At one time I've owned all of the above and the German seems to be the best, then the Dutch, last would be the UK and then the Italian one.

WS

j.dee69

Mar 7, 2009
Lancashire
Get a german army rubber one mines 9 year old still looks like new been all overvie world and lots of festivals with it. worth trying to get your hands on one of these.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've just received a Dutch poncho, and I was very surprised at how light it was and it's small packed size ( which is the reason I didn't go for the rubberised German poncho ).
The only thing that concerns me is that there is no label inside, quoting a NATO stock no. etc. Should there be one?

Also, my mate's talking about getting a DD poncho, from the people who make the hammocks. Has anyone tried one of these?

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE