poncho liner or wool blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have an army style camp bed it is comfortable but in cold weather you seem to feel the cold more. I am looking for some type of insulation layer I could put on it to try and stop the cold air coming up through it.

I thought a poncho liner or wool blanket might do the trick. Which would be better or is there another option I should look at

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Poncho liner wouldn't be much good as it's thin as anything and would compress down even more when you lay on it.

Best option is a self inflating mat (thicker the better) and put the wool blanket on top of you.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Ponchos liners are gash for any cold weather use. They're not bad indoors or during summer etc.. but anything else and you'll freeze. Go for a foam mat, then sleeping bag.

Tonyuk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
When using a cot I tend to put a roll mat* on the bed and use a blanket to hold it in place. The blanket also restricts/slows the air flow under the cot ... radiated heat and all that ;)

* CCF, self-inflating etc.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
As one that loves a camp bed when camping, and hates the restrictions of sleeping bags, I've found the best way for me is, a mat (preferably self inflating, but ccf will do dependent on space/weight constrictions) fitted sheet over that, to hold it in place etc. Then I open up my sleeping bag and use it like a duvet. This will overhang on each side (right to the ground on a low bed) and stop the drafts getting under you.When using a higher bed then an extra blanket/sleeping bag etc can be used between mat and sheet to do the same job. However, for the ultimate in warm camp bed, if size/weight etc is not an issue, then invest in a fishing bed! Not only do they (usually) have individually height adjustable legs and are nicely sprung. They also have a nice padded mattress to keep the cold out.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
thanks for the replies.

there are a few thing here I can try without spending money. I do normally use a 2/3 self inflating mat on the camp bed but I will try my full length foam mat, Also I will add something to overhang the sides to see if that helps

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I've loved the idea of Polncho liners for years and my family often uses them for picnics.
I would agree, too cold on it's own as a single layer. you can boost it's warmth slightly by tieing it into an US Army poncho, but the down side is it will get slightly sweaty.
If you don't mind a bit of sewing modification, there are a few things you can do to to improve your poncho liner, I did this to my own Liner some years back and the result was really good, sadly I also sold it some time ago.

1) Firstly get hold of a 2nd poncho liner, this will add insulation for little extra bulk.
2) you can add a zip around the edge of the liner, which will give you the option of turning it into a sleeping bag and will keep you wrapped up all snuggly!
3) if using 2 poncho liners you can add a 3rd layer inbetween of that silver foil material for again little extra bulk.
4) you can add a drawstring to the top of the poncho liner which can act as a sleeping bag hood.
5) you can add a velcro(or zip) hole that matches the waterproof poncho, so then you can wear poncho with liner on cold wet days.

There was a BCUK thread on the subject a while back:http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28839

Here is a chap that sold the DIY kits, sadly not selling but the info is there:
http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/poncho_liners.htm

This may also be of interest, a website discussing a poncho liner/sleeping bag and the benefits etc now sadly most of the links and images don't work but the text may be of interest.

[url]http://www.combatreform.org/lwsb.htm

[/URL]

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I use an old wool batting sleeping bag opened out.

Not out of any real concious decision; I happened to have one, and it works for me.

Thick and warm, but not quite soft enough for a sleeping mat. Good on a camp bed.

Bulky, but I expect with a bed thats not a big worry of yours

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
For the retro lovers out there, have a look at "Czech officers sleeping bag/bedroll".on ebay.
Its a padded cotton canvas quilt? that can button around a sleeping bag or left open as a bedroll. Bulky and heavy, but intriguing.
At £35 delivered perhaps a little pricey?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE